• Register
  • Help

Topic: using GS3 as a standalone GigaPulse reverb module

Share/Bookmark

using GS3 as a standalone GigaPulse reverb module

Anyone have any tips on doing this? Basically I have a huge orchestral score, I have taken time to dump each instrument group to stereo tracks dry and centered in DP and made a new sequence of just the audio tracks. So i have 24 channels of adat i would like to use out of my daw and into a GS3 machine, use GigaPulse to verb my mix and pipe it back.

Do I just make one aux channel with GigaPulse and just add more or less to each instrument and pan? or do i do a bunch of instances of it? and How do I access it? just set up inputs and use GP as a buss insert?
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Re: using GS3 as a standalone GigaPulse reverb module

You might want to read up on the mic modelling / placement tips.

Personally I would try several of them to add distance to the seperate sections. That is if you are doing Orchestral scoring.

I use hardware myself, but did enjoy the way GPulse can be used as a placement effect within a recording.

Placing Tympanis at a 1:00 o'clock position and further back on the stage by adding more of the effect through a stereo AUX was iumpressive.

I believe this could be done using the Giga mixer, but I use DSP recording apps.

Happy Hunting.
    JimmyV

what kind of hardware? I have a couple of decent lexicon reverb units (M1 and M500) maybe I would be better off using those... I just love the concept of mic modelling and placement in a room space and my lexicons are a little before that era
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

well what i did was take my 68 channels of audio (after rendering 1 at a time from midi triggering VSL in Digital Performer) and I sent the direct outs of each channel to different inputs on the GS3 machine, splitting up logically by section. Then I add a few instances of GigaPulse and tweak it appropriately from the AUX RETURN section and use on the main input channels of GS. Then I make the outputs into 8 busses returning to my DP machine to record the audio with gigapulse on it.

The problem here is that there is some weird latency of sending out audio to a GS machine (DP Machine has 2 motu 2408 mkIIIs and each giga machine has RME HDSP 9652) so I cannot use busses in DP to add other effects or eq or whatnot in real time on the original dry tracks. Only direct inserts which would quickly overload my system on that many tracks seem to not create a 1-1.5 sec delay. So still not sure how to do this more streamlined
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Go Back to forum