• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Dark Forest with Magic, Unicorns,... and Pixies for good Measure.

Share/Bookmark

The Dark Forest with Magic, Unicorns,... and Pixies for good Measure.

Okay, so It's been a while since I've posted anything, but now I'm posting something, so in a few minutes, it will not have been a while since I've posted something; it will in fact have been mere seconds since I've posted something.

Info #1
    So, a while ago (a long while ago) I posted a topic in General Chat about going through past music files that just didn't quite make it. Well, I happened accross one that I titled "familiar song," so I opened it and heard a melody that caught my attention. I remember I started this song just before I went through a couple notation software changes. So, I opened, created a new intro, and a new orchestration for the melody, and well, okay, so the melody and bits of the ostenato are the only things that are the same.

Info #2
    I have discovered I have a very difficult time writing music unless I have a general idea of what to write. Even if I have a melody that I feel is solid, I have a very difficult time expanding on it. It's been a while since I've had a solid idea to work with, and this is the start of it. I plan to make this into a multi-movement piece meant to portray some scene. Generally, the scenes will be linked together in some way. So, the title right now "The Dark Forest" is just temporary. It will probably be titled something like "Images that I Thought of that are in Some Obscure Way Linked Together."

Info #3
    That Magic and pixies stuff I added in the forum topic title were just meant to catch people's attention

So, I don't really care if you read all those previous comments or not, here's the link. (if you skipped them, they were just me babbling)

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6405677&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6405677&q=hi

a quick note: there's about 1 minute of silence at the end of the file, and there's a part around 0:18 that I personally feel needs a little smoothing out.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: The Dark Forest with Magic, Unicorns,... and Pixies for good Measure.

Keeewwwwwlll~...

Great orchestration; very intriguing...

Though in my opinion this doesn't sound "Dark-Forest-ish"...

More like... flying mounted on a... gryphon... or some other mythical flying creature. Dragon, maybe? Or it could pertain to a pheonix, as I don't see how you could ride one. (Ow... Burnnn~...)

*cough* Umm, yeah. Thank you for posting!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

sanyarem:
    I have always been and will continue to be prejudiced on the side of the material rather than the production but I must say in this case, there is a remarkable difference. It's a good piece and masterfully orchestrated. The second version is outstanding. I agree that the title might need rethinking, but a rose -----------------------

sos

Michael,

the part at 0:18 sounded great to me; a little "jolt" to get things going. Overall, a nice dark sound; a very captivating and lush canvas.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thanks everyone for your comments!

DanielB

Haha, yeah. I suppose it could be viewed as a flying something... but I did actually mis-post the title. It's really supposed to be "The Deep Forest," if that makes a difference...

sosmus

Thanks a bunch! Actually, the first posted link is just a lo-fi version that soundclick formats for me when I upload the file. It's just for people who have slower internets/computers and can't handle the larger hi-fi version. The hi-fi version is the original file I uploaded (thus the only true version of it) thanks again!

Michael

Thanks for the compliment! I suppose a jolt can be nice. My main worry is the piano chords just after 0:18, maybe around 0:20. Some of them just seem to stick out more than others, which is what I really want to fix.

Thanks again for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Sorry I didn't get to this a little sooner, Michael;
    but a pleasure now that I have. Very well done,
    with quite a range of writing; and solidly thought
    out, often highly picturesque orchestration.

I like the sense of wonder and inquisitive expectancy
    that pervades this.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow, haha, no problem etLux. I was getting on to check if anyone had commented on my other post. I didn't DREAM anyone would post on this one.
    Thanks a lot for your comment, when I have a picture in my head, I like trying to capture the sound I think it should have, that's one reason why I love the orchestration aspect of composing. Thanks again!

by the way, this is actually the unfinished version of Views of an Ethereal, which I have posted under "My Lapse of Romanticism"
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Great chord progressions leading to a massive climax, Michael!

Congrats to a well orchestrated epic adventure! Great contrast between the different sections.

Some of the more esoteric parts remind me of the impressionist masters!

Poetic and quiet ending of the piece!

Fred

I must say, I was quite surprised to see this thread pop up out of nowhere. I actually nearly missed it, the only reason I caught it was becuase it was 2 posts above the thread I started just the other day

Well then, Fredrik

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm actually very happy with the way this one turned out, and still consider it to be my best piece for orchestra. (I have a difficult time creating a variety of sounds from the orchestra, even though I know it is very capable )

Anways, thanks again for commenting, and bringing this post back from the dead

Edit: After looking back at my posts, it seems you actually already commented on this song. This was originally posted as the incomplete version of the song: "The Deep Forest," which eventually turned into Views from an Ethereal. The full version I posted in another topic called "My Lapse of Romanticism," so, thanks Fredrik, again, for your comment!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum