• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to double VSL Chamber Strings

Share/Bookmark

How to double VSL Chamber Strings

Hello,
    doubling VSL Chamber Strings - I think this has been already discussed her in the forum. Can you help me find this?

My plan:
    1. I record a melody in MIDI
    2. I transform the MIDI notes in Audio by sending them to the Chamber Strings. Now I have the first Violines.
    3. I copy the MIDI melody and transpose it a halftone downwards
    4. I transform the transposed MIDI notes in Audio by sending them to the Chamber Strings.
    5. I use Melodyne to transpose them back. Now I have the second violines
    AND maybe....
    6. I copy the MIDI melody and transpose it a halftone upwards
    7. I transform the transposed MIDI notes in Audio by sending them to the Chamber Strings.
    8. I use Melodyne to transpose them back. Now I have the third violines

Is this a good idea to double or triple? Will it come close to the VSL Orchestra Strings?

Regards,
    Metuschelach

Re: How to double VSL Chamber Strings

Here is the thread. You're method will not give the same effect, and is harder to edit.

http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...light=tripling

This will be very close, but not quite as good as the Orch Strings.

Good luck!

When I double instruments I copy and detune not the audiofiles, I do this with the samples and midifiles. Very easy to do with Kontakt Sampler/Player.

For example: Detune the instrument -1 and transpose the miditrack +1. The result is that you play the same notes, but with different samples and the sound is different.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Or, if you were using Kontakt, you could do it all in one step by applying this script:

http://www.~~~~~~~~~~.com/K2-Scripts/Jays_Ensemble_Maker_v.05_no_PW.zip

edit: grah. NS still blocking "that" forum... mirrored it on my site - http://www.rogetmusic.com/Jays_Ensem...v.05_no_PW.zip
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

thanks four your answers. What can I do if I have the VSL VI Chamber Strings? The trick with Kontakt is no working there.

Hey Matt,

That link doesn't work for me!

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    Hey Matt,

That link doesn't work for me!

-Alex
    Try the link he posted the first time, it's un-ellipsilized.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Oops! yeah, you're right

I'll just put the method here again. It's worth repeating.

Take 2 copies of the track.

Transpose one up a tone and one down a tone. (The idea being that you are triggering different samples, instead of 3 copies of the same sample)

Use the pitch wheel to bring them back to unison with each other, However, set the pitch wheel on each to tune a little off of 200 cents, so they are not exactly in tune. (say 192 and 187 instead of 200)

Delay the timing on the 2 tracks so one is a little ahead and one a little behind. It's even better if you actually play each track without quantizing to make it more realistic.

You can pan one a little left and one a little right and one in the middle, but be careful. Some pan pots in DAW's just lower the volume of one side. Use a directional mixer or imager to keep the stereo image of the ones being panned.

Voila! The sound is big and it's really easy and quick once you get used to it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
    [] but be careful. Some pan pots in DAW's just lower the volume of one side. Use a directional mixer or imager to keep the stereo image of the ones being panned.
    I have Cubase Studio 4, what do you mean with directional mixer or imager? What can be wrong if I use the pan pot of Cubase?

I don't know Cubase. Someone else will have to chime in on that. But, in Logic, if you pan a stereo mixer channel it just lowers one side to give the impression of being panned. So, I use the Directional mixer in Logic to shift the whole stereo sample or audio in the stereo field - as well as the width.

Go Back to forum