• Register
  • Help

Topic: Celemony / Melodyne Aren't The Only Ones With Magical Software

Share/Bookmark

Celemony / Melodyne Aren't The Only Ones With Magical Software

Remember, Celemony aren't the only people who can seem to extract sounds from a more complex recording and manipulate them. A couple of years ago on the Analogue Heaven mailing list were posted the two files below. One is Stairway To Heaven playing forwards while the sounds are all backwards, and the second is vice versa. These were done using free Soundhack software on the Mac. I didn't do them, so how it was accomplished, I don't know. Now's time for everyone to speculate how such a thing is possible. Might give more insight into how the Celemony people are pulling off their DSP magic.

(Song Forwards, Sounds Backwards)
    http://fa.utfs.org/Yawriats_Ot_Nevaeh.mp3

(Song Backwards, Sounds Forwards)
    http://fa.utfs.org/Nevaeh_Ot_Yawriats.mp3

Re: Celemony / Melodyne Aren't The Only Ones With Magical Software

There you go again, spoiling the fun of us poor gear-addicts with money burning a hole in our pockets
    Last edited by Oksi Moron; 03-28-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: misinformation

That seems reasonably straight forward...doesn't it? They've simply identified each beat and chopped the file into many segments on the beats, then batch reversed them all (in the first example). That would be fairly easy to do with most daws i think.

The second is simply the whole of the first, reversed.

The celemony goings-on are on a whole other playing field i think

Agreed Chris. Nicely done, but certainly not difficult to understand how.
    Polyphonic Melodyne is another thing entirely though...
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    That seems reasonably straight forward...doesn't it? They've simply identified each beat and chopped the file into many segments on the beats, then batch reversed them all (in the first example). That would be fairly easy to do with most daws i think.
    I don't think it's quite that easy. I had noticed that certain sounds that are kind of long don't completely reverse accurately (like the cymbals) and in a place or two it does seem that they're working with only limited sections at a time of maybe a measure in length. But those seem too far spaced apart to account for all the reversed notes and sounds within the measure. So I don't know that your simple explanation accounts for it. And Soundhack is software that works on the spectra of sounds. If it were as simple as you say, they probably wouldn't have used something like Soundhack since any time domain editor that works with beats could easily do it.

But if somebody thinks they can easily do it in their DAW then they should give it a try to prove the case either way.

Go Back to forum