• Register
  • Help

Topic: Short solo improvisation

Share/Bookmark

Short solo improvisation

Hi

this is the first time I upload some music here - it's a simple improvisation but just wanted to share...

http://pzl.creartgraphics.nl/images/D_274_17.mp3

what do you guys think?

cheers
    Hans

Re: Short solo improvisation

First of all hi!
    Welcome to the forum.
    I liked this piece alot.
    A soft and gentle piece nicely structured as well.

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Hello, Hans, and welcome aboard!

This is a very beautiful meditative improvisation!
    You say it is simple, but I hear a gentle and interesting complexity within.
    Thank you for posting and I shall look forward for more...

Yudit

Gee, Dan and Yudit, thanks for the warm welcome and the kind words!

it didn't really feel like that much when I played it, but your responses are very nice - thanx again!!!

cheers
    Hans

Hi, Hans!

Thanks for this piece of beautiful music. Listening to it helps to soothe my mind.

What piano and preset did you use? That's a great piano sound too.

Jun

Hi Jun
    Thanks for the kind words too!!
    I must have been in a very 'gentle state of mind' while playing if it has that effect
    The piano I used is Pianoteq - a virtual piano - the settings are self-edited in an attempt to get as natural a piano as I can get from the program...

cheers
    Hans

Dear Creart,

Your live performance is really fine, with great feeling but... it could sound better with another piano plug !
    Try the "Continuous Velocity Piano" from TASCAM :
    http://www.ftptascam.com/media/downloads/CVPiano.zip
    It sounds far better than this synthetic Pianoteq and however, that's a freebie !!!
    The timbral response of the Pianoteq is really poor and "muted" (additive generated) ; the TASCAM CVP is a killer in front of that Pianoteq !

You'll enjoy that incredible freebie !

Kind regards from France,
    Phil.

Hi Phil

Thanx for the response - I dare to differ in opinion about Pianoteq and don't seem to be the only one... I was actually a bit afraid that putting up the name of the used plugin might run into sound critics... it would have been better to leave that open and just wait for objective opinions(not saying that yours isn't objective by the way, just mean that it would have been interesting what people had to say about the sound not knowing that it's a physical modeling plugin)
    Apart from that I'm afraid that the Tascam plugin is PC only and I am Mac-based, so I won't be able to use it anyhow...
    Further, editing sounds and working with physical modelers or modeling software in general, seems to be a great part of my musical 'life' (I use Variax (modeling) guitars and bass, Vdrums (modeling) drumkit etc, so Pianoteq was a logical extention of my instumental 'spectrum'

But maybe it would be a nice idea to send you the midi-file for you to record with the Tascam plugin - would be interesting to hear the difference!

cheers
    Hans

I guess you've composed this nice part WITH the Pianoteq. All what I mean : the more important thing is this closed contact between the player and his instrument, the sound he hears, the feeling of what happens. So, this has almost nothing to do with theorical qualities of a plugin. Your score, your performance shows rather well this relation and here, taking advantage of the pros and cons of that Pianoteq2, and it rather works fine !
    But there exists a TASCAM freebie offering better "acoustic" dynamic range, more natural high/low keys response, so that's - I do think - a good reason for you to try this CVPiano.
    Yes we could try to play the midifile with it but like I said, probably it won't sound as good as the initial performance.

Well, for staying within your post, I would say your playing is intimate, generous, mastered, and I especially enjoy the way you manage holded notes, resonances... a sign of good taste !

Your's
    Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks again for the response and nice words!
    Ya I think I understand what you mean - if I play synthesizer or guitar, the sounds that I use , make me play certain music - other sounds lead to other music....
    I am still interested in what the output from the midi-file thru the Tascam plugin would sound like - I'm afraid I can't use the plugin because I don't have a PC

cheers
    Hans

Go Back to forum