• Register
  • Help

Topic: Earth Hour approaches...Turn out your lights for one hour.

Share/Bookmark

Earth Hour approaches...Turn out your lights for one hour.

On Saturday, March 29, 2007, between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., people around the world will turn off the lights in their homes and businesses to conserve power and draw attention to climate change.

To find out everything you needed to know about Earth Hour and see a full list of cities taking part, go to http://www.earthhour.org.

Does that mean just lights? Or computers too? Internet withdrawal for one hour could be difficult...

Re: Earth Hour approaches...Turn out your lights for one hour.

Is that your time (EST?) or my time (GMT)? If its your I'll be asleep in bed so thats easy then.

This all started in Sydney last year.

My family (my wife and I have three daughters aged 12 to 17) had a candlelit dinner and then went for a walk in the dark. It was a lovely family evening without the continual hum of computers etc.

My computer doesn't hum, I ran out of candles, I am too old for a new baby bang, and turning out lights doesn't help. Ever seen which problems powerplants have when we all shut down our electricty? Stupid idea!!! I live next to a school..... every morning at 08.30 hrs.....cars, cars, cars with children who live two blocks away.... strange behaviour.

To preserve energy, have a long walk, bring your children to schools walking, do errants walking, take your bicycle.... etc. But never shut down the power, it can ruin the powerplants. And starting costs more than the saving.

Raymond
    [the only way is the Steinway]

Yay for Token Hour. Straight afterwards at 9pm all the city office blocks and skyscrapers will be lit up like christmas trees, with nobody working in there.

Hooray for awareness.

I'm going to turn every light and TV in my house on. Then I'll go kill trees.

Not to be negative but try getting teens to understand why the lights are off.
    Also, this goes along with everyone not driving for one day to save millions of gallons of fuel. What? Not drive today! What are you crazy? I have to go to the mall and walk around and check out the people walking around the mall checking out people!
    Styxx

I just received a notice in the mail from my electric provider it states, and I don't quote, Since no one turned on their lights for an hour on the 29th, our company suffered a loss in profit and will have to ask the energy commission for a rate increase of 5% to off set the loss.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    On Saturday, March 29, 2007, between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., people around the world will turn off the lights ....
    I think we missed it by a year.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum