• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keyborad controller with breath controller input

Share/Bookmark

Keyborad controller with breath controller input

Hi,

I want to start using a breath controller and was looking to upgrade my controller at the same time. The only keyboard I seem to find that offer breath controller input are the one from CME, the UF and VX series. Also I'm planning to use the BC3. Is there any other one? Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks.

Re: Keyborad controller with breath controller input

the BC3 seems to be the only device that is still on sale.
    There was at least one other earlier model but
    i wouldnt dare to use a second hand breathcontroller for obvious reasons.
    I use the BC3 in conjunction with a little midiconverter from MIDI Solutions that turns the BC3 data into MIDI data.
    http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/183963.jpg
    unfortunately the default setting in that device is BC to volume which means i have to use a Transformer in Logic on the MIDi input to turn that into proper breathcontrol data.

best
    Hans

My Kurzweil PC2X has one, other Kurzweil [K2500/2600] might have it
    Also, Not sure about Motif but older Yamaha Keyboards they are all have it, even the EX5R [rack mount] - you can buy and use a module, then take advantage of its breath controller port as well.

Yes, both the Kurzweil 2500 and 2600 have a breath controller input. It works great with a BC3. I even have some old patches that were written specifically for a breath controller. They may be older, but some are still cool and usable. http://kurzweil.sonikmatter.com/geosync/geosync.php In the K2600 link scroll down to Breath section. It also works on the K2500. Geosync, George Hamilton, used to work for Kurzweil when he wrote these.

Jeff

Yamaha S90ES. I assume that it is also on the Motifs.
    JP

Thanks for the reply, I will look at those.

I would avoid the CME keyboards like the plague. I have the UF8 which has the worst key action in the world ever. The keys are really, really stiff - it's impossible to play them quietly, because it takes about 3billion pounds per square inch to make them move. They do loosen up when played repeatedly, but, if you lleave them 2 minutes, they go righ back to being stiff.

It also has a very unstable USB driver - my machine constantly loses sight of it, and only a full reboot will restore communication; the CME forums were swamped with complaints about the problem, but the moderators just kept shouting everyone down, telling us to stop being so 'unhelpful' and suggesting that the problem was down to other components in our systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    the BC3 seems to be the only device that is still on sale.
    There was at least one other earlier model but
    i wouldnt dare to use a second hand breathcontroller for obvious reasons.
    I use the BC3 in conjunction with a little midiconverter from MIDI Solutions that turns the BC3 data into MIDI data.
    http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/183963.jpg
    unfortunately the default setting in that device is BC to volume which means i have to use a Transformer in Logic on the MIDi input to turn that into proper breathcontrol data.

best
    Hans
    Hans, you can program the Midi Solutions Box fairly easily.
    You'll need to temporarily change your wiring and send midi from your DAW into the box. Then play this file once in your sequencer http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/...IONS_SYSEX.mid. It will set the box to convert the breath data into midi CC2.

Might as well add the Roland A-90 Midi Keyboard to the list that has a breath controller input.

I had no idea Midi Solutions had a BC to Midi box. I've been keeping my Yamaha VL-70m around mostly just as a breath controller interface.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    Hans, you can program the Midi Solutions Box fairly easily.
    You'll need to temporarily change your wiring and send midi from your DAW into the box. Then play this file once in your sequencer http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/...IONS_SYSEX.mid. It will set the box to convert the breath data into midi CC2.
    supercool
    thanks for the link
    now i can use the BC3 in Mainstage too!

Go Back to forum