• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: "Sonata In F#"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "Sonata In F#"


    Y'all,

    This is the first movement of my "Sonata In F#. I am writing the other two movements 'as we speak'.

    Both instruments are GPO.

    Piano Version

    Harpsichord Version

    Regards,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Thumbs up Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Larry:
    My first composition instructor said that no matter what I tried to write, it always sounded like it needed a rhythm section with it. No matter what keyboard you write for, your true idiom is the harpsichord. You are, indeed, an anachronism.

    Steve

  3. #3

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Larry:
    My first composition instructor said that no matter what I tried to write, it always sounded like it needed a rhythm section with it. No matter what keyboard you write for, your true idiom is the harpsichord. You are, indeed, an anachronism.

    Steve
    Actually, I'm a Presbyterian but...

    I don't appreciate being called an idiom. I have been told that I am intelligent.

    But serially, your message is not entirely clear.

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  4. #4

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    I like the piano version, Larry; but the harpsichord
    version definitely has far more spark and drive.

    Hey. This has been out over twelve hours as I
    listen. Aren't the other two movements done yet?

    Always my best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  5. #5

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I like the piano version, Larry; but the harpsichord
    version definitely has far more spark and drive.

    Hey. This has been out over twelve hours as I
    listen. Aren't the other two movements done yet?

    Always my best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Having some health problems, Mr. Dave and don't know if I will be able to finish it or not.

    Thanks for listening. I appreciate your input.

    My Best,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,024

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    I enjoyed both versions.

    The harpsichord does a better job on it but including the piano version is appreciated.


    Phil

  7. #7
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Larry,

    On an earlier piece of yours, I lobbied hard for the harpsichord version. After hearing the piano, I thought, "Well, this is it". Then I listened to the harpsichord version - and again, it wins (at least to my ears). There is a kind of sparkle to your writing that comes across on the harpsichord; piano - good, harpsichord - better.

    Nice work!
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  8. #8

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed both versions.

    The harpsichord does a better job on it but including the piano version is appreciated.


    Phil
    Many thanks, Mr. Phil. I always appreciate your support.

    Best Regards,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  9. #9

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Larry,

    On an earlier piece of yours, I lobbied hard for the harpsichord version. After hearing the piano, I thought, "Well, this is it". Then I listened to the harpsichord version - and again, it wins (at least to my ears). There is a kind of sparkle to your writing that comes across on the harpsichord; piano - good, harpsichord - better.

    Nice work!
    I am muchly obliged, Mr. Ron. Thanks for your comments, my friend.

    Best,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  10. #10

    Re: "Sonata In F#"

    Hi Larry,

    First and foremost, my thoughts are very much with you for a return to good health.

    I vote for the piano on this... the dynamic contrasts just stand out more prominently and make this shine as the very accomplished piece that it is. Outstanding contrapuntal work as always, Larry, and quite musical in all aspects. Thanks for this!

    Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •