• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "Perimeter"

Share/Bookmark

"Perimeter"

http://www.box.net/shared/static/2w83b7e0o4.mp3
    "Perimeter" is essentially 12 Tone piece but with a very liberal use of artistic license. I used only the outside versions of the complete 144 note matrix, thus the name "Perimeter."

F Eb Cb D Bb A Ab Db C G F# E
    G xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxF#
    B xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBb
    Ab xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxG
    C xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxB
    Db xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxC
    D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDb
    A xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAb
    Bb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxA
    Eb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxD
    E xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEb
    F# E C Eb B Bb A D Db Ab G F

Finale 2008b,MacG5, GPO notation. I have a sequencer, Metro LX, but still don't know enough to use it. When I do, I'll see what more I can do with this piece.

sos

Re: "Perimeter"

Good heavens!!! What an opening, great. Listening while writing this. Then the development, attracting and intriguing. Really a great piece. Those sounds clusters, massive and organ-like. You make very good use of the brass section. Now where the piano comes in.... strings good as a background. I must stop writing to focus on my ears... it is too great for any distraction.........

Congratulations and thank you, the richness of musical ideas.... marvellous.

Raymond - let others comment on the rendering, I enjoyed the music.

Incredible piece, sos! Wonderful writing! This needs to be performed!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Steve

What a wonderful piece. 12 tone, but not atonal, Love it. This is music as it should be. use all of the notes!!!

I thought we had talked you into getting Sonar. I hope you can find someone to help you with Metro LX because with most sequencers, you can get a lot more variety than just the notation program allows.

Great work

Ron

Raymond, Gary & Ron
    Thank you all for your nice comments. As I have stated many times, I can compose but I don't like doing it as much as arranging. I like working in a discipline and composing gives me too much freedom--I keep second guessing myself. In this case, I actually turned a 12 tone row into a bastardized version of a jazz waltz in F.
    I tried to get Sonar but they are not Mac oriented. I do have a forum helper, Jerry Wickham, who is patientally trying to get me up and running on Metro LX. I'm really looking forward to what more I will be able to do.

sos (Steve)

...but where is the melody?

I am just a poor country boy - a musical dinosaur - so this is beyond my comprehension. Does I - IV - V7 - I ring a bell?

I certainly applaud your efforts and obvious compositional abilities, Mr. Steve.

My Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

To my ears, the 12-tone music of the original 2nd Viennese School was almost romantic, but then the original idea was almost ruined by later composers who thought too much inside the box, er, I “mean inside the matrix”.

I really liked this because, though it still has a little of the 12-tone flavor, the matrix (or the part you used) seemed to work for you as a tool instead of an end-all. Being mostly tonal, and with some very interesting motifs, this is easy to enjoy “out of the box” without having to try to figure out all the clever ways the matrix was manipulated.
    Trent P. McDonald

Larry:
    I'm with you. I didn't use Roman numerals for this because it all sounds like Greek to me. Melody, like beauty, is in the ear of the beholder so it in there somewhere.
    I enjoyed our phone conversation.

Steve

Trent:

Thank you for your comments. It is reassuring to have like thinking peers. You are also in agreement with a former colleague of mine that thinks strict serialism was one of the biggest disasters in modern music. I am all for bounderies in which to work but then we must also try to expand them. I did a String Quartet that was a very strict 12 tone work and it sucked, thus leading me to take liberties with this one. Now that I've been there and done that, I've just taken leave of the whole process.

Steve

Adventurous, Steve. A great piece for cinematic use. It
    has a lot going for it and has definite sections which build
    upon each other. Exciting in places........tranquil in others.

Loved the bended horn notes........and instrument "screams"
    and the end................lol

BRAVO, Steve

P.S. Gee, the volume in this one is "way up there." What
    did you do to get that much from your Finale program that
    was troubling you?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast