• Register
  • Help

Topic: Extended range in GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Extended range in GPO?

Hi,
    I've written a septet that involves micro-tuning and an extended low range for vibraphone to mimic a gamelon sound. I've been looking at GPO to implement the microtuning via scala. Before I purchase the program, however, it is rather crucial that I know whether it is possible to extend the low range of the instrument (or whether the low range exceeds that of a normal set of vibes). I can't seem to find any info on this. If anyone can give me information on the range of the GPO vibes and how flexible this is it would be greatly appreciated. (Also, if you have any alternatives to implement this for real-time performance.)

Thanks

Re: Extended range in GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougelheim View Post
    Hi,
    I've written a septet that involves micro-tuning and an extended low range for vibraphone to mimic a gamelon sound. I've been looking at GPO to implement the microtuning via scala. Before I purchase the program, however, it is rather crucial that I know whether it is possible to extend the low range of the instrument (or whether the low range exceeds that of a normal set of vibes). I can't seem to find any info on this. If anyone can give me information on the range of the GPO vibes and how flexible this is it would be greatly appreciated. (Also, if you have any alternatives to implement this for real-time performance.)

Thanks
    Hello Dougleheim and welcome to our forums.

The GPO vibraphone starts on F above middle C and extends for three octaves.

You cannot extend the tuning (ie by adding additional lower notes) however you can tune this lower in the Kontakt Player 2 which is supplied with GPO. I don't know how much lower you want to tune the vibe but I've just lowered it by 2 octaves.

If you wanted to keep the three octave range and to have lower notes you could achieve this by opening two instances of the vibraphone in the Kontakt Player in your notation program or sequencer and assign them to different tracks and channels. Tune one vibe down and you have the range you need.

Using the above method only one or the other should sound at any one time as I believe it might cause phasing problems if you have notes from both playing together.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Extended range in GPO?

Thanks a bunch, Michael. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Go Back to forum