• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Who's Afraid of the Dark

Share/Bookmark

Who's Afraid of the Dark

Imagine you are walking down a deserted road at night surrounded on both sides by a dark forest. You are certain you are being followed by creatures of the night.

Your heart and pace quickens.

No you are safe...

A noise behind you. Yes, you are being followed.

No, it was only the wind.
    Or was it?

Yes, there it is again.
    You stop.

You reach for the sound you just heard, but it is gone.
    Of course you are safe.
    There it is again.

You hurry a little quicker now, sure that the vile creature stalking you will catch up and do his wicked things to you.

NO, NO,
    No, it is nothing.
    Just the furry little animals of the forest out for their nightly scavaging.

Or is it?

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/rbbbf0x0k4

All comments are appreciated

Ron

Re: Who's Afraid of the Dark

Ron:

Very interesting and well written piece. I was not as frightened as intrigued. It was like walking through a magic, but benevolent forest, and anxiously awaiting what will pop out you next. The steady pulse was inviting, not ominous. To use a familiar quote, "this is a good thing!"

Steve

When I am walking on a dark,deserted road at night, and hear music like the opening of this piece, I have this uneasy feeling... I have to agree that it felt suspenseful, but not always scary. It did keep me listening, though - the rhythmic motion kept things moving, and the various things that pop-up/appear were always interesting; made me curious as to what was around the next bend (maybe I shouldn't be so curious?). It had the feeling of being able to go either way, towards terror or peaceful resolution; if this were a film score, that could be very useful. Suspense and ambiguity are essential, and I think you nailed it!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I like this one. Certainly keeps your interest. I’m with the others, although there is some suspense in there, I didn’t think it was scary. I like the constant sense of motion (well almost constant, except for the interruptions from what-ever-is-out-there).
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Ron,

What IS scary is how accomplished you're becoming with your craft!

I agree that it was more whimsical than ominous, but that's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. Your music continues to show your dedication to making it "work" and this one certainly does, and more. Lots of rhythmic drive and clever use of recurring motifs. It sounded a little more tonal-centric than your other stuff, which is certainly a viable direction for you to explore. You did a terrific job of it here.

I'm returning to listening a bit gingerly and carefully -- more than a week of severe infections in both ears and in my sinus was pretty frustrating (and I'm a pain wimp... I think??)... but listening to your stuff unfailingly brings a smile to my face, as this did tonight!

Another success!!

Danny

Steve, Ron, Trent, Danny

I used to live in a little town called Lovell, Maine. We were in the middle of the mountains on 365 acres of rocks and trees. There were plenty of bears around along with deer and other furry animals. This piece depicts the feelings I would have walking down the dirt road at night.

I have a Bass Clarinet, Contrabassoon, and the Tuba, all trying to depict the bad things in the forest. The rest is when I have convinced myself that nothing is there.

When walking down that mile long, skinny little dirt road road at night, I knew that there was nothing to be afraid of, yet every now and then, a little voice would start to say, hey there is something there.

That was what this is supposed to do. It fits in my head, yet maybe not for everyone. Regardless, that was just the inspiration for the piece. I guess I am not that accomplished at either trying to explain the feeling or composing for the emotion. You guys saw past my bad description and enjoyed the music anyway. For that I thank you.

Danny

I am sure the best thing for your infection was listening to my music. The infection would have to go away so as not to have to listen. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. We are not all Beethovens that can still compose even without our hearing. I know I couldn't do it.

Thanks again guys.

Ron

I loved this piece, Ron!

The Oom-pah brass sections were of most appeal to me, for some reason. Was there a particular inspiration for you to write this or was it just something you sat down and chose to write? EDIT: I just read your last post which answers my question. Sorry, I often just start typing before reading all the posts.

I also asked because it is somewhat reminiscent of some work by a French composer who wrote music for the Little Big Adventure series of computer games. If you want, I can send you a couple of clips so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm on my 3rd listen now!

Wonderful work!
    Regards
    Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Thank you Paul

Now that I have finally started to get the brass down I think I will return to this one soon and fix the brass in it as well to get a more "real" feel to it.

I loved to hear the pieces you are speaking of. I write what I like in music, so it would make sense that if another piece sounds something like mine, I would like it as well.

Thanks again

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Thank you Paul

Now that I have finally started to get the brass down I think I will return to this one soon and fix the brass in it as well to get a more "real" feel to it.

I loved to hear the pieces you are speaking of. I write what I like in music, so it would make sense that if another piece sounds something like mine, I would like it as well.

Thanks again

Ron
    Hi Ron,

I've posted a couple of the composer's music here so you can see why your piece reminded me of them. I love these two pieces in particular and have had them in my collection since 1997. I hope you enjoy them too!

Regards
    Paul

LBA1
    LBA2
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Afraid of the dark? Heck, I rarely see daylight... lol!

Definitely one of your more interesting pieces, Ron; a lot
    of work toward color in this, healthy use of contrast
    in the materials, and -- did I hear bells in there? You know
    me and bells... lol!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast