• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: August Forster pianos

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: August Forster pianos

Folks, I know this is really off topic, and no way meant to challenge the Steinway, but I was wondering if anyone had played an August Forster concert grand and what their impression was of it? How does it stand up against Steinway and other brands? Thanks so much in advance!

Re: OT: August Forster pianos

I realize you are asking about the Forster grands. My experience is only with a largish 1928 Forster upright that I owned in the 1960's and '70's. I purchased it in Germany and brought it back to the US.

That was an instrument of the very highest quality - crisp action, excellent tone from bottom to top, and an exceptionally elegant case. I have often wished I had it back. It's hard to imagine a nicer upright. It held its tune apparently forever. I liked it at least as well as comparable Steinway uprights I have tried.

If Forsters' attention to manufacturing was the same in their grand pianos, the latter must be well worth looking into.

Larry

Thumbs up Re: OT: August Forster pianos

Thanks for your reply. I have the pleasure of playing one several times at our church, and had never run across one prior to this one. It is a concert grand, and I had enjoyed playing Steinways and Kawais, but had never heard of August Forster until attending this congregation. Just wondered what kind of reputation it had - I love it, especially the bass is awesome.

Glad to hear -- although not surprised -- that the grand is nice, too. I don't believe the firm has ever had much reputation in the US, due to a small presence.

Obviously, a few instruments have been imported over the years, since we already know of two. The dealer from whom I bought mine in Kaiserslautern spoke in high terms. But then, he was trying to sell me one. Other German musicians, however, confirmed the good reputation Forsters have there. It would be fun to hear the one at your church. Too bad it's such a hike.

The point to remember is that absolutely excellent pianos exist bearing something other than the three or four current great names.

Larry

Just as a matter of interest, Förster's website is at

http://www.august-foerster.de/

They seem to be functioning as always.

Correct spelling is Förster or Foerster, whichever is easier for one to type. I saw at least one dealer in Florida mentioned on the site, without exploring the list very far. So they are here.

Go Back to forum