• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Magnificat

Share/Bookmark

Magnificat

Dear listeners, something for a Sunday night.

Here's a mock up of my Magnificat for choir and organ - or in this case, for GPO strings and organ! I've made little attempt to impart realism into either strings or organ as I hope this gives a good impression of what a cathedral choir might sound like regardless. From a composition perspective - and without the words, this may sound a little disjointed, but anyone familiar with the Anglican setting of Choral Evensong will (hopefully) recognise the words of the Magnificat in this - and the constraints (and glorious opportunities) these impose. I've chosen to end this with a quiet 'Amen', leaving the full blooded finale for the Nunc Dimittis which will follow - and which I'm about to start work on. The line up is:

Trebles (boys) - GPO violins 1 lush
    Altos (men) - GPO violins 2 lush
    Tenor - GPO violas lush
    Bass - GPO cellos lush
    Organ - GPO full and flutes

(Edit 9th Aug 2013 - Original link removed as no longer active. See later posts)

Can't wait to get my hands on the upcoming GPO choir!

Regards, Graham

Re: Magnificat

Good work Old Bean! Sonorous and majestic. Nice rendering. I enjoyed it. Keep up the fine work.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Graham it is hard to comment this. I listened to this twice and I am not sure a choir can sing this. Maybe when put the singers a bit in front it gives a better idea of what your goal is. In any case it has great potential and I love that organ play.

Raymond

Larry, thanks for tuning in - and your kind comments. As always, much appreciated.

Ray, many thanks also for your helpful comments on this. The choir parts are indeed challenging as most Anglican settings of the Mag and Nunc are. My other half Philippa made a good stab at the top line last night which pleased me. I can manage the alto, tenor and bass parts - but that's no surprise given that I wrote it!! However, singing along with the strings while watching Finale play back on the screen is very different from a live performance. I'm aware of a few awkward spots that I'm smoothing out - but I think your impressions are correct; this is for a cathedral choir.

Regards,

Graham

Graham,

Really liked this - I kept forgetting that it was voices, and was just enjoying the string writing. In other words, the piece is beautiful; how it works for voices will need the road testing of a choir. Perhaps there could be strings to double if parts are too florid? When the Garritan Choir library comes out, I am sure this will sound wonderful. Who knows, perhaps by then it will have a live performance.

The interaction of the voices with the organ is quite effective: independent and interdependent.

The harmonic language is very distinctive, and a bit more chromatic in places than some of your other works. Am I hearing a motive from your violin cto lurking there?

Very effective, and wonderfully done.

Thanks for sharing this.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Who knows, perhaps by then it will have a live performance.

The harmonic language is very distinctive, and a bit more chromatic in places than some of your other works. Am I hearing a motive from your violin cto lurking there?

Many thanks Ron, I value your kind comments. Well, I must confess, I have written it with a choir in mind - but I need to complete the Nunc Dimittis and tidy things up before I dare offer it up for consideration! Violin Concerto, maybe a trace here and there!! :-)

Kind regards, Graham

Graham

I don't know what it is about the organ, but every piece I have composed for it is lacking. This however is not.

Well done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Graham

I don't know what it is about the organ, but every piece I have composed for it is lacking. This however is not.

Well done

Ron
    Thanks Ron, I appreciate you dropping in on this as I know you're very busy with your own project at the moment. The organ in this is perhaps a little OTT. I need to peg it back a bit. Also, the baroque voicing lacks the warmth and sweetness that one expects of an English cathedral organ - and which this style of music really needs. But nevertheless, the GPO box does very well and is worth dabbling with. Good luck with your venture.

Regards, Graham

Very nice. As with Ron, I often had to break my thinking away from strings and organ and try to hear this as a choral piece. When Garritan Choir gets here I won’t have that trouble….. Anyway, I really enjoyed this.
    Trent P. McDonald

Graham,

You have produced a magnificant work, love the organ with the vocal strings. It is a very moving work in all aspects. I find nothing lacking with it. And the production is excellent. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast