• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Ewqlso/Sonivox

Share/Bookmark

Re: Ewqlso/Sonivox

Well, both are great orchestras, however, I think platinum has the advantage in that it has its own player... Sonivox, you need gigastudio or Kontakt... My own opinion, I think the Sonivox orchestra is overpriced in today's world...

I agree!

Take care that you can get an extra library for free from EW (Sounds on line . com) atm. Take advantage of that!

I spent the extra and went with Sonivox myself. It's excellent.

I don't own EWQLSO myself, however, I can give some feedback on the differences between them from various comparisons and documentation I've read and listened to:

EWQLSO has more ambience than Sonivox which has more ambience than VSL.

EWQLSO has a very "big film score" sound.. Sonivox can work for that but also can work equally well for a smaller sound as it has smaller sections too (for example in brass you have 6 horns, 4 horns, 2 horns and solo horn options with Sonivox, in EWQL you just have 6 horns and solo horn to my knowledge).

The biggest weakness in the Sonivox library is probably the Solo Trumpet and that it doesn't have a solo tenor trombone (though it does have 2 tenor trombones in unison).

I chose the Sonivox because of the increased flexibility from the different section size choices and, to me, all the EWQL demos just sound "over-processed" and the patches don't sound very real to me.

In the Indiana Jones theme I posted in the "Sample Modeling Trumpet" thread I used Sonivox for nearly all instruments except the solo trumpet lead.
    (and that was just thrown together by taking an old GM MIDI file someone else did and loading up Sonivox patches plus "The Trumpet" and seeing the result, I'd be able to get much more musical results out of both libraries by putting in my own dynamics besides the original MIDI dynamics)

Tradivaro and nikolas, do you own the Sonivox collection?

Comparing the individual sections (disclaimer: got these from what I read of the EWQLSO manual and user feedback as I don't have the EWQLSO myself):

Strings:

The Sonivox strings are excellent sound and smaller sizes, but you can do things like combine up and down bow patches to play simultaneously and double up the 1st and second violins to get a bigger sound. To get a really really huge sound though you may find you need to mix in another string lib.

EWQL strings from what I've heard sound great (if a bit over-processed to my ears) and have a huge sound, but getting a smaller more intimate sound could be difficult with the large sections it comes with and the heavy reverb. The EWQL sounds "processed" and "Zimmer-esque" to me in this area but many people like that.

Brass:

The Sonivox brass and the EWQL brass are both also strong points of the respective libraries. Sonivox has more varied section sizes in the brass which can make it work well for smaller arrangements, but both have both solo and big section brass (with the exception of no tenor trombone in Sonivox), so either can be used for the big hollywood brass sound without needing to mix in other stuff. Again, the EWQL sounds "processed" and "Zimmer-esque" to me in this area but many people like that.

Winds:

The Sonivox winds are very good to excellent. EWQL winds I've heard are pretty decent but not the strong point of the lib.

Percussion:

EWQL percussion sounds very good to excellent to me in the demos I've heard. The Sonivox perc is pretty decent but not the strong point of the lib.

A lot can be done with EWQLSO's samples/instruments as well with a little filtering and tweaking. That is how I usually get a small, intimate sound, with the library.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Sean:

You're all talk and no play! Come on! Prove what you just said! post something... ¬¬

(LOL! Of course I'm kidding and anyone who knows Sean must know the excellent music that he makes).

Platinum comes with the close mics, which should work better for a little drier sound, but it is true that it's difficult to avoid the big ba ba boom sound of EW...

Geronimo: No. But trvadiro commented on the EW player (Kompakt) and I agreed, adn added the BOGOF sale which is in EW right now.

Anything wrong with that?

I'm not a fan of anything really, I provide opinion for anything that is asked, if I have it, nothing else.

And Sonivox, if Platinum (138 GB) is around $1100, seems a bit overpriced, if you also need to get Kontakt or GS... Doesn't it? And Kirk's libraries are also bellow $1000

Well, pretty much all I know is what I have read. It appears there is a $2,000 difference?!!

I would get EW Platinum (plu EW Choirs for Free!) and get Kirk Hunter's Diamond. I think you are still under the cost of the Sonivox deal.

Is my math (and logic) correct?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    Sean:

You're all talk and no play! Come on! Prove what you just said! post something... ¬¬

(LOL! Of course I'm kidding and anyone who knows Sean must know the excellent music that he makes).

Platinum comes with the close mics, which should work better for a little drier sound, but it is true that it's difficult to avoid the big ba ba boom sound of EW...

Geronimo: No. But trvadiro commented on the EW player (Kompakt) and I agreed, adn added the BOGOF sale which is in EW right now.

Anything wrong with that?

I'm not a fan of anything really, I provide opinion for anything that is asked, if I have it, nothing else.

And Sonivox, if Platinum (138 GB) is around $1100, seems a bit overpriced, if you also need to get Kontakt or GS... Doesn't it? And Kirk's libraries are also bellow $1000
    I see a lot of people saying it's too expensive but they didn't try it so I'm not sure it's fair... I just wanted to point that out.

I think EW pricing policies is very different from a company like Sonivox and that can give the impression that Sonivox sells their products at a too higher price. I don't think it's fair to compare them that way. It seems to me EW has a much more aggressive approache as far as marketing goes so they sell their product cheaper hoping to sell more or something.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast