• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MIDI controller with everything -- bar keyboard?

Share/Bookmark

MIDI controller with everything -- sans keyboard?

I have been looking for a new master keyboard for a while. Visiting different stores trying to compare key actions of all options available when ever I've had a chance (and I admit I must have looked silly running around "playing" these without plugged into anything). What I have been looking for is a good semi-weighted action (that's right, it's what I'm used to), a mod wheel, pitch wheel, being able to plug in sustain and expression pedals (breath controller interface would be nice but probably to much to ask for). But so far I have not found anything that beats my old semi-weighted Roland HP piano in feel.

So I was thinking about going another route. Instead of getting a new master keyboard, maybe I should look for a box to extend my current keyboard? However, I have not been able to find any product that will sit between a MIDI keyboard and the MIDI interface and offer the features listed above (and maybe some additional knobs that'll send control messages but that's not really important to me).

Any suggestions?
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Re: MIDI controller with everything -- bar keyboard?

The Novation Remote Zero SL maybe?

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...ro_sl/#details

Quote Originally Posted by dahnielson View Post
    I have been looking for a new master keyboard for a while. Visiting different stores trying to compare key actions of all options available when ever I've had a chance (and I admit I must have looked silly running around "playing" these without plugged into anything). What I have been looking for is a good semi-weighted action (that's right, it's what I'm used to), a mod wheel, pitch wheel, being able to plug in sustain and expression pedals (breath controller interface would be nice but probably to much to ask for). But so far I have not found anything that beats my old semi-weighted Roland HP piano in feel.

So I was thinking about going another route. Instead of getting a new master keyboard, maybe I should look for a box to extend my current keyboard? However, I have not been able to find any product that will sit between a MIDI keyboard and the MIDI interface and offer the features listed above (and maybe some additional knobs that'll send control messages but that's not really important to me).

Any suggestions?

Where is the mod wheel and pitch wheel? I can't see any of them in the pictures of the device.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

If price is not a big issue ($2450), then Infinite Response is coming out with a new Midi Keyboard that is available in 6 different keyboard heavinesses. When you choose the one you like best, they make the keyboard in your color and with your name on it. It also has POLYPHONIC AFTERTOUCH, not currently available on any other keyboard. They put the pitchbend wheel in kind a weird place, it's on the side of the keyboard. Can't remember if it doubles as a modwheel or if they're doing that some other way. Link here:

http://www.infiniteresponse.com/

If you're looking to add another expression pedal or put one on a Midi keyboard that doesn't have an expression pedal input, and add some additional MIDI capabilities, the new Moog MP-201 Multi-Pedal will do that.

http://www.moogmusic.com/controllers...oduct_id=21114

Or you could buy used. I have the now discontinued Roland A-70 Midi Keyboard. It's semi-weighted 76 keys, I believe a Fatar mechanism, has two expression pedal inputs (one is labeled Volume, the other CV) and a couple of foot switch inputs (use one for sustain), a mod wheel, a pitch wheel, and Roland's spring return lever wheel, 4 sliders, 4 midi output connectors, and all kinds of ways to set up multiple keyboard zones, and so on.

My suggestion is the Axiom 25. It has everything that you wanted, but also a 25 note keyboard. Thats not such a bad thing to complement your master keyboard - you can octave switch it for your keyswitches and have it on top of the other. Its got good drum pads and a transport function also.

I havent used the transport function- I found it a PITA to program and use a frontier transport instead.

Good luck.

Thanks!

M-AUDIO Axiom 25 looks like a good idea. Think I missed it when I checked out the M-AUDIO stuff in store (but then I was mainly looking for and testing key actions).
    Anders Dahnielson

Along the same lines as the Axiom 25 note keyboard is the Novation Remote SL 25 (also available in 37 and 61 note versions). This has all the clever auto map controlling features and LCDs of the Remote Zero along with pitch and mod wheels.

Yes. I was just thinking about the Novation. But it's more expensive than the Axiom and I like the modwheel better on the M-AUDIO (at least from looking at it).

Don't think I actually tried one of the Axiom keyboard out in store, only the Oxygen line (which obviously don't have the key action I'm looking for). Think I maybe should give M-AUDIO a second chance and try the Axiom 61 (easier to schlep around than a HP-piano, even in my home studio). If I don't like the key action, then an Axiom 25 it is!

The Axiom is the proof in the pudding (and other bad puns)!
    Anders Dahnielson

Just want to say thanks for pointing me in the direction of M-AUDIO keyboards. I've now got an Axiom 61 living on top of my desk, freeing up a lot of space in my bedroom studio as the Roland piano now is expelled into a corner.

As for the action, the Axiom is a bit "sticky"/"springy" compared to the Roland. But it's nothing I notice once I turn the sound on and start control something. And it's probably not fair to compare one keyboard with aftertouch to one without anyway.

The Axiom 61 is a really nice keyboard and I really feel in control with it's wast programmability. It's a joy to set up and control ensembles with zones, and having the option to let controls like the modwheel either affect all four zones or just one. All my setup so far lack is a sustain and expression pedal, as soon as I get them I will be complete. ;-)
    Anders Dahnielson

Edirol PCR 300/500/800 has 50 knobs, buttons and sliders plus mod wheel, pitchbend, midi in, out and thru, 2 pedals, USB etc.3 octaves, 5 octaves or 8 octaves. Split keyboard. 2 midi channels at one time, play on one, modify another at same time etc. and not TOO expensive.

Not sure you'll like the action, but I'm happy with it.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum