• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions about installation of the new Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Question Questions about installation of the new Steinway

Folks:
    Having recently ordered, as I now with great anticipation await the arrival of the Steinway, I am thinking about the installation process and have a few questions.
    1. If I install the 24 bit installation (which takes 67GB of disc space), then do I somehow mix it down to 16 bit when using a DAW such as Sonar 7Producer edition and outputting to MP3 or WAV file? Or should I just install the 16 bit version?
    2. Will I be able to add the Aria synth into Sonar PE 7 or need to do some gyrations to have Sonar discover a new synth?
    3. Is it possible to install the samples to my Raid 0 array, and the executables and program files to my C:\ drive?
    4. As I am a newbie to Sonar 7, I was wondering if anyone might have a template or good design to set up in Sonar 7 for recording the Steinway? Do you recommend a certain reverb or other plug in? Are there certain tracks or busses that one should set up, in order to create the most beautiful and realistic possible recordings with the Steinway? Is it possible to just use the reverb supplied with the Aria engine and not use the Sonitus or other reverbs within Sonar? Which one sounds best?
    5. Are there any other settings under XP professional that need tweaking in order to make best use of this sample?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Re: Questions about installation of the new Steinway

I don't have the Steinway (yet!), but I do know quite a bit about Sonar.

If you have Sonar 7 PE, I'd recommend using the 24-bit samples. Sonar will render it down to whatever bit-depth your project is at the last stage of mixing. It will do all of its internal calculations at the highest possible resolution, and only do a downsample (and possible dither) at the last stage, which will result in better final quality when combining signals.

I believe the Steinway comes with the Ambience reverb, which sounds very good. If you have Sonar 7, you'll also have the included convolution reverb PerfectSpace, which is a fantastic reverb in my opinion. I use it in all of my renderings, and there are many included impulses to choose from that will create a realistic mix.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Question Re: Questions about installation of the new Steinway

Thanks so much, Jamie, for your reply. I do have the perfect space reverb, and have played just a little bit with it. I was wondering, do you have a template that you use for your piano recordings? I am very new to Sonar, and was wondering if you set up a separate bus, and add the perfect space reverb into the fx bin, and what settings you might use? I don't really have a good grasp on the bussing and how to set the panning so the piano sounds the most realistic. Any help and/or advice you can give is greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

For piano solo pieces I don't use a template, since there isn't much to set up. Though sometimes I do just open up an old project and resave it for my new project.

I always put my reverb on a bus, as I find this gives much better control. It's less important if you're doing a single instrument, but I like to stay with a good habit.

Panning and reverb really depend on what type of music you're doing, and personal preference. For solo stuff, I like an intimate sound, and usually go for an impulse of a small studio space. I like more stereo separation on solo piano than on piano in ensembles. For piano in an orchestral texture, I might even go so far as to get an almost mono piano sound, and place it within the stereo field where the piano appears on stage. In any case, I usually find stereo sampled pianos to have too wide a stereo field, but that is much better than too narrow, since I can squash the width more easily than expand it.

I also tend to use just a tiny bit of compression on my master bus, maybe 1.2:1 or 1.3:1, more for large orchestra if there is a very wide dynamic range.

It's hard to predict what will work best with the Steinway, since I haven't gotten mine yet. With the different recording perspectives, there should be a lot to play with.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Question Re: Questions about installation of the new Steinway

Thanks so much, Jamie, for your replies. I guess I need to create a separate bus, then add the perfect space reverb into the fx bin, but then how do I choose the output of the MIDI track to go to the new bus? Usually (if I remember correctly) I choose the output of the midi track to go to the Kontakt 2 synth.
    Thanks again for helping me with my newb Sonar questions! Would you have a sample cakewalk file that you might be able to send to me so that I could set up a template of it?

Thanks so much again!

An audio bus doesn't work directly on the MIDI track, rather on the track that contains the soft synth. In this case, the MIDI track feeds to the Aria Player track, which in turn has a send to the bus. The output of the Aria Player track should be to the mains, and a send should be created from that track to the reverb bus.

When using a bussed reverb, you should set it to 100% wet, 0% dry. Adjusting the amount of reverb is then done by changing the send level from the audio or soft-synth track.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Thumbs up Re: Questions about installation of the new Steinway

Thanks so much for your help! I can't wait for the Steinway to arrive, and I look forward to trying this out in Sonar with the Steinway!

Go Back to forum