• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hard Drive about to go?

Share/Bookmark

Hard Drive about to go?

---removed---

Re: Hard Drive about to go?

Well ... I'm of the school where one can never have too many hard drives, and they're always coming down in price, so I'd say grab one just in case.

Seagates are nice and quiet and have a 5 yr. waranty.

Have you run a ...... chkdsk C: /f ......... lately? ( command prompt )
    Defrag?

Or chkdsk from >>> RightClick on the C: drive in my computer > Properties >Tools > Check Now ( check both boxes ) ?
    Then again ... that full check might be enough to stress out and kill a failing drive ... so ....
    ... yea ... I'ds get an other drive and do an Image first.

One thing I'd check for sure, not related to the noise and heat, but just for the sake of being sure is to test your ram with MemTest. www.memtest.org

Once you're positive your RAM is good ( and that your OS and software are configured perfectly ... oh ... and all your data files are on an other partition ) I'd look at imaging the OS drive so that when it comes time to reinstall it only takes you a 1/2 hour to restore the OS partition get it back to where it was.

Hard Drive Failure ~usually~ "sounds" like a rapping noise.
    The way to trace the noise your hearing is to get a paper towl tube, the cardboard tube in the center of the roll, open the case and putting the tube up to your ear use it like a stethoscope to locate the source of the noise.

As far as WinXP goes ... I've been running 5 stable systems for yrs. now with never a failure. But then again I'm real careful about what get's installed and if I make a mistake, I just restore the image I made, right before. I always image my system before installing anything I'm not sure of, and when I know it's in there, I like it and it's good, I image that also, always keeping the last 3 OS images, in case I have to go back.

System restore, the one included in XP and Vista, is not nearly are reliable as a full Image of the whole partition.

Good Luck!

Hi Jon,

I'm using Drive Image 2002 and sometimes Ghost 9.
    Got them both on eBay for a lot less than the newer versions will cost.

Also:
    I hear that Ghost 14 was just released and a few people on an other group say it's good. That might be you best "modern" option for imaging.

Steve

I haven't run chkdsk...maybe ever?
    I would run chkdsk from a dos prompt and before windows starts up. Start or Restart windows and as it turns on hit "F8" until you get a screen asking for normal start up or a slew of other options. Take the option to start in safe mode at a DOS prompt. I am not really sure on the commands you can give chkdsk (from memory) but at a c: prompt type "chkdsk /? " without the quotes of course. This will list the options. Of course, you could read the manual on windows or wikipedia chkdsk and it will give you the commands.

I just checked it myself and the command:

chkdsk /?

will give you the commands associated with it. It is best to do this before windows gets its maybe corrupted self involved with the disk checking.

I would say if the hard drive is making noises and they are getting louder, you either have an HD going bad or the chipmunks making the disk spin are hungry.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

/f

is essential

without it it won't fix problems.

This doesn't sound like a hard drive issue but a fan issue. I've never heard of a drive spinning too fast unless the power supply is delivering too much voltage. Most computers BIOS will shutdown the machine during POST (Power On Sefl Test) if the voltages are out of norm. Usually lockups can occur if the CPU is overheating. Since your system is starting hotter than before then a fan may be starting slow which could also be the noise your hearing. Then either you CPU or power supply fan is going.

The other possibility is that your motherboard has bad capacitors. This issue can cause lockups, reboots, errors booting to the OS, various blue screen errors. Many manufacturers (DELL, IBM) to save costs used cheap capacitors on system that are 2-5 years old. They usually start to fail after 2-3 years of use. You can check for bad capacitors by checking the capacitors around the CPU. They will have bulging tops and sometimes will be leaking brownish gunk. I've probably replaced 50 systems in the past year with this problem at work.

BTW, Windows XP is a very stable OS (as long as you haven't installed a bunch of junk software) and usually only crashes when there are hardware problems.

I'd agree about the fan noise : plus it explains the higher temp.

( I also have had more trouble with fans over the years than HD's. Never had a WD caviar fail and really love the WD Raptor's though they are louder due to the high Rpm. )

Ghost is the best imho for back-ups. Good luck!

Thumbs up Re: Hard Drive about to go?

I would check the cpu fan as the first culprit but seriously you should run the chkdsk /f command from the command prompt, then reboot your PC and allow it to check the desk entirely. Once the PC reboots, then check the event viewer application log. Look for a winlogon entry in the event viewer, and look at the report that will be listed there. If you have bad sectors, then replace the drive immediately.

Most definitely a fan issue.

Typically fan issues start out being a problem on start up and then quiten - over time they get progressively worse.

A second indicator is the heat rising.

The Event Viewer will definitely tell you if you are having drive errors. Look under the System logs for Critical Errors, the ones with the Red X. Usually hard drive errors will be an Event 7 code. Also, a hard drive controller can be bad and will usually have Event codes of 51, 52.

Jim

Go Back to forum