• Register
  • Help

Topic: Time for Some Light Operatic Tuba...

Share/Bookmark

Time for Some Light Operatic Tuba...

The tuba has a wonderful bass-baritone voice, so I thought I'd put it in an "operetta" setting.
    One way I am working to popularize the tuba and euphonium is to present the unknown (to most audiences) instruments in familiar contexts. so...

Con Ti Tuba-ro EDITED:LESS REVERB!!!

It's GPO for the string backgrounds, CoMB for the winds & background brass. The solo is the CoMB helicon.

Comments are welcome--my setup is not sophisticated...Used Overture 4 for notation & sequencing. Its MIDI capabilities are close to most sequencers in terms of manipulating controllers via drawing them in, making rubatos, accels, rits, etc.

If this sounds like an April Fool's post, it isn't. Any comedy is unintentional.

Snor.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Time for Some Light Operatic Tuba...

Snor -

I'm listening, and have to say it's "delicious." There's a creamy resonance to the horn that's hard to resist.

I'm saving it for a re-listening later, when I've "unbent" from work.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette View Post
    Snor -

I'm listening, and have to say it's "delicious." There's a creamy resonance to the horn that's hard to resist.

I'm saving it for a re-listening later, when I've "unbent" from work.

Joe
    Thanx, Joe...yes, "creamy" is an apt descriptor for the CoMB tuba , and I tried to bring that "creaminess" out despite the fact that I am "crusty"
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Hi Jim,

As you very well know, not a lot of people realize what a beautiful solo instrument the tuba is capable of being (or that it can even use -- oh, my word! -- VIBRATO!!! ). This was a great choice of material to bring that fact to light, and hopefully this is going to get its share of listens -- it deserves it.

This was masterfully done for any set-up, and the arranging was pretty darn classy! Loved it -- (especially that run at the end!). The forum needed this post! Thanks for bringing it to us, Perfesser!

Danny

[quote=snorlax;563713]The tuba has a wonderful bass-baritone voice, so I thought I'd put it in an "operetta" setting.
    One way I am working to popularize the tuba and euphonium is to present the unknown (to most audiences) instruments in familiar contexts. so...

Due to such as "Tubby the Tuba," "Play That Country Tuba," and Rich Matteson, plus being a bass trombone player, I have long been a fan of the tuba and it's amazing capabilities. This is a delightful rendition.

sos (Steve)

Snorlax

I saw a piece performed not long ago that opened with a tuba solo. I must say it is a rarity, but more enjoyable than one would initially think.

This was executed very well.

Well done
    Ron

Nice arrangement and great tuba solo.

I’ll admit my ignorance – I’m not really sure what a helicon is. I thought it was some type of marching bass brass, like a sousaphone (at least I think that is a sousaphone is), but you are putting it in a concert setting. Anyway, Professor Jim, I am willing to be taught about the wonderful world of low brass.
    Trent P. McDonald

You know, Jim, for someone who's a doctor
    not an escalator, you do come up with some
    neat ideas.

Nice job on this, and I like the concept --
    a great way to promote one of the most
    unjustly neglected instruments in the
    orchestra.

Perhaps you could do a whole series of these?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

EtLux done writ:
    You know, Jim, for someone who's a doctor
    not an escalator, you do come up with some
    neat ideas.

I am so confused. I was raised as an escalator.

...and EtLux opined, perhaps unwisely:
    Perhaps you could do a whole series of these?
    Scary thing is: I ALREADY HAVE SOME. I used them to do pops stuff on euphonium. I created them with a million interchangeable parts so I could go to any band with any instrumentation and make it work. This is a well-known concept in school banding. I just redid this one for orchestra. So be careful what you wish for; you may get it. I let tuba players use 'em with the solo dropped an octave.

Trentpmcd's unending intellectual curiosity prompted him to offer:
    Anyway, Professor Jim, I am willing to be taught about the wonderful world of low brass.
    Trent, I am preparing such a document for the millions of Garritan users who have the same questions about low brass...check the WIKI in a WEEKIE or two. Your thirst for knowledge will have Guinness poured all over it.

Rolifer admitted:
    I must say it is a rarity, but more enjoyable than one would initially think.
    reminds me of a comment made after a concert a while back..."Gee, Jim, that $ucked much less than I thought it would!" Thanx, I think!!

DDW noted, after visiting a clown & having some CFON:
    This was masterfully done for any set-up, and the arranging was pretty darn classy! Loved it -- (especially that run at the end!). The forum needed this post! Thanks for bringing it to us, Perfesser!
    Well, Danny, I must say it is fun to be learning this stuff in my mid-50s (I am the same age as Sosnowski, but he has much more to show for his years than I do). I didn't start ANY of this soloing & clinic-ing stuff until I was in my 30s so I am desperately trying to make up for lost time. Quintessential late bloomer...but having all of youze around shows me what can be done. I ain't there yet in terms of writing or realizing, but I am advancing at a glacial pace.

Off to a couple days at Wrigley Field to watch the Krubbz get spanked by Milwaukee and Houston...thanx fer listnin' everyone!

Snor

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Nice sound. I must admit I haven't even checked out the Helicon in CAMB yet, but I think I'll have to next time I need a tuba.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum