• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway: It's great- it's fantastic!

Share/Bookmark

Steinway: It's great- it's fantastic!

Well, guys (and gals), the verdict is in and I'm very impressed. Garritan Authorized Steinway is installed and working. So far, I've played back MIDI files and played in live mode with my Roland RD500 Stage Piano. Everything works as advertised. I have a pretty robust system (8 core Mac Pro with 10GB of RAM,) so I can't tell you how it works on minimal systems, but the docs say it does.

Speaking of docs, this is the best documentation and packaging I've ever seen in a sequencing product. I nice spiral bound notebook binder embossed in gold. A REAL Steinway owner would be proud to have this sitting in their music room. The documentation describes all aspects of pianos, this package, how to install it, and there is even a section by one of my favorite musicians Wendy Carlos on Temperaments (there are 13 of them!)

For those wondering how much disk space this takes up- well, all 5 listening perspectives in 24bit resolution take up about 67GB (yes gigabytes,) so you probably won't be loading them all on your laptop, at least, not on the internal drive.

I highly recommend this package just by the small amount of time I've been able to spend with it this evening. Tomorrow is going to be "try it with the notation packages" day.

Keith Walls

Thumbs up Re: Steinway: It's great- it's fantastic!

That's great to hear. Yes, from what I hear of the demos you should be on fire creating piano pieces.
    Nice ...
    Styxx

Re: Steinway: It's great- it's fantastic!

Did it ship in a 9 foot long box?

I'm eagerly awaiting my FexEx man

dave

An update- The Steinway works just fine with Sibelius 5.1. It shows up on the VST and the AU choices, and is by default a "General MIDI" Instrument.

And there was a surprise, too. Steinway also works with Finale 2008b in AU (Audio Units) mode, alongside the NI players. This is Apple Mac OS only, I don't think they have a equivalent VST facility for Windows (XP or Vista) at this point.

Keith W.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    And there was a surprise, too. Steinway also works with Finale 2008b in AU (Audio Units) mode, alongside the NI players. This is Apple Mac OS only, I don't think they have a equivalent VST facility for Windows (XP or Vista) at this point.

Keith W.
    This is a nice surprise! Hope qccowboy sees this.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post

Keith W.
    We'll soon be posting some virtual MIDI drivers that will work with the ARIA player and allow PC Finale users to play the Authorized Steinway.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    We'll soon be posting some virtual MIDI drivers that will work with the ARIA player and allow PC Finale users to play the Authorized Steinway.

Gary Garritan
    This is great news!

Go Back to forum