• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Romance - First Listening Room Post

Romance - First Listening Room Post

Hello everyone,

This is my first Listening Room post. For lack of a better title the piece is called Romance. It's not a substantial work by any means, but was a short piece I wrote a few years ago and thought it would be a good one to get a handle on GPO/Finale combination. Right now I'm limited to the version of GPO that comes with Finale. I'm not complaining because it's MUCH better than what I used to use.

This was first created in Finale 2002 so I pretty much went with phrasing and articulations I already had. I need to get used to the balance of some instruments and other things like sus cymbal control. I'm first and foremost a notation user but do have Sonar so I will likely incorporate that into my work flow once I upgrade to full GPO.

Thank you for listening and any suggestions are more than welcome.

Steve Winkler

Re: Romance - First Listening Room Post

I was and am a sibelius user, but now I also use Sonar. I think you will find a world of difference in the sounds you will be able to get once you get the full version of GPO,

That said, this still sounds very good. There are some guys here that get some amazing results with just the notation programs and GPO. But it is so much easier in Sonar.

This is a great piece of writing! And considering Finale is playing this directly and you haven't used Sonar to balance and mix the instruments, it is an excellent rendering.

I use both Notation and Sequencing software but I never use the notation software to record the final mix; I export it to the sequencer, where I feel I have more control over the sounds. After hearing what you have achieved, I am thinking maybe I should spend more time understanding Finale's mixing capabilities!

I adore your orchestrations in this piece, by the way. Might you be so kind as to post the .MUS or midi file? I would love to see the score.

Many thanks, and please write more!

"Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

Thank you for the kind comments and warm welcome. I am looking forward to upgrading as I know I'll have more sounds at my disposal. This piece should have celeste in the "B" section but I settled for piano.

Kinvint, you can find the score here. It is a finale file.

Thank you again for the comments. I'm always impressed with the kindness and willingness to help on this forum. Thank you for letting me participate.

Steve Winkler

A true romantic piece and very impressive for a first post!
    Well done!

Very nicely done. It has a kind of film-score quality to it - and I mean that as a compliment. You sustain the lyricism throughout, and it never gets tiring. It does seem that this is, or could be, part of a longer work? Do you intend to expand it? It is fine the way it is, but it also has great potential.

Great first post, too.

Welcome aboard!
    Ron Pearl

A great first post in the Listening Room. Congratulations on a finely written piece of music. Finale is certainly a wonderful piece of software to be able to create such a beautiful rendering of your music. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

congratulations on a well planned, well orchestrated, and well designed piece. The lack of brass was good idea until better brass samples become available in the aria version of gpo. Thanks for posting this.

Thank you again for the comments.

rpearl - I hadn't thought of expanding on this piece but I may in the future. I've got a couple other things I'm working on right now.

taylorchandler - There are brass in this piece, but they sound a little suspect. I think if I had full GPO I could judiciously use the overlay samples to get a little more fullness that the brass sounds seem to lack. Or maybe that's part of using an application like Sonar. These are things I've yet to discover and will undoubtedly have questions about.

Steve Winkler

Hi Steve,

Excellent! The lyric quality of your writing in this is outstanding, and definitely a "romance". Very tasteful job of expanding and supporting the melodic material.

Congratulations on this highly successful first post... and welcome!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast