• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT-Theatre

Share/Bookmark

OT-Theatre

I have to say I do miss being involved with theatre. I was fine until while cleaning out some bins of music I came across my batons and the percussion score for Les Miserable. So, I dug up the CD (I have several) and read my score while the music play.

Let's see ... I have scores for "Sound of Music", "West Side Story", "Annie", "Pajama Game", and many, many more some with script.

Oh, hum ... to be in the orchestra pit again.
    Styxx

Re: OT-Theatre

I haven't been there since high school either, which was 17 years ago, yet I also miss it. I'll never forget some of the experiences - I played keyboards in a whole bunch of stuff, such as Guys and Dolls, Jesus Christ Superstar, some Gilbert and Sullivan. In my last year I was asked to write the score for a production of Amadeus, which was one of the biggest challenges I'd ever faced.

Now I'm back at the same school as a teacher, but the drama department and music department don't seem to have the same level of collaboration. Sad...

..One thing though. Why is the keyboard player always sat with his ears three inches from a crash cymbal. I thought it was exhilarating at the time, but I'm sure it did my hearing no good.

..One thing though. Why is the keyboard player always sat with his ears three inches from a crash cymbal. I thought it was exhilarating at the time, but I'm sure it did my hearing no good.
    Just be thankful you weren't a brass player.
    Styxx

Ah, the pit...

eight week runs...hmmm.

After getting to know the book the fun would begin - Let's put a raw oyster in the bone player's mouthpiece on break! Let's unscrew the top hi-hat cymbal! Where's that paperback I brought? How late is that bar open?

I miss it.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I thought the feeling would go away by now but NOOOOOOOOOO! Where's the phone?
    Styxx

I was in only one play with an actual orchestra (several with an actual rock/blues band) and that was Something's Afoot. Man, was that a LOT of fun.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Let's see, I played trap set in pit for "Pajama Game" and "Back in Time". Musically directed "Annie", "Oklahoma", "Sound of Music", "Annie" again, Several summer musical programs, drummer/percussion "Les Miserables", Directed/musically directed/choreograph (because our choreographer never had anything ready to teach) conducted and was voice of "Audry Two" in "Little Shop of Horrors". Musically directed "The Wizard of OZ" (twice different seasons), "Bye Bye Birdie" and several other small performances such as Christmas shows and the annual Variety Club Telethon where the cast of our organization would sing and act out shorts from musicals.

That pretty much covers fifteen years working for the West Seneca Youth (Youts ) Theatre and even though there were trying moments I loved every day! It's been three years since I left and I'm happy to see the group is still running strong.

You know, the majority of these musicals used midi either to fill sections like Stings for the orchestra or totally orchestrated when we had no monies to hire musicians (which I missed).

Ramble, ramble, ramble. Sorry.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum