• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Two Ups and a Down

Share/Bookmark

Two Ups and a Down

This is my newest piece. Thanks to David for the name, although I really wanted to name it what his is named, but this will suffice.

Think Particle Physics.

I am finally beginning to get the brass to sound right I think and I am still trying for a Prokofiev type feel.

This is all GPO and JABB.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/cj9x0tb4k4

All comments are appreciated.

Ron

Re: Two Ups and a Down

This reminds me of Offenbach's La Vie Parisienne in parts. Moments of opera abound, Ron!

Two Ups and a Down.... Hmmm. I will just give you what came to mind when I read the title and listened to the music. It's probably not what was intended but here it is:

a small terraced house, somewhere in Northern England. Two bedrooms upstairs and a single room down. A "bedroom" farce takes place (hence the Offenbach reference), where characters are running from room to room, hiding in closets and generally escaping being caught having their little affairs with one another.

Dunno why, but that's what went on in my head

Great work, again. Thank you!

Regards
    Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Re: Two Ups and a Down

Ron:
    This is really a fun piece to hear and being a low brass player, it would be a lot of fun to play. I like your piano parts, but whew! Flying fingers of flambouyant flashing. I heard all "ups" and no downs.

Steve

Paul

Now I have to go and check out Offenbach's La Vie Parisienne. I think I have heard parts of it, I will check youtube for this one.

I really don't think it matters what comes to mind with music, as long as the composer brings out something. If that makes sense.

But your description is nothing like mine. Particle Physics has little to do with Flats in England. But like I said, as long as a picture or a feeling is there, and the music doesn't suck, I have done what I wanted to do.

Thanks again

Ron

Ron,

A funny thing... I've grown so accustomed to hearing great stuff from you, I started to write this response... then realized I hadn't even listened to the piece yet!!

Well, I did listen. And your growth and progress with your music, and the direction you're taking with it, continues to be just tremendous. You're now giving much more, ummmm... testicularity to your brass, and it's paying off in some great sonorities and orchestral interplay.

As Steve S. pointed out, the piano just flies through this thing impressively, and you've surrounded it with more of your typically clever orchestral devices. What you do rhythmically in places just blows my mind. It's awesome!

Even particle board baffles me... so particle physics?? All I know is that you're churning out more and more top notch stuff, Ron!

Danny

Steve

You posted just a second before I did, so I missed your post until now.

The greatest thing about these instruments today is how fast they play.

I have always loved fast music, ( fast woman and fast cars as well).

I don't know how playable the piano is in this, but at least most of the runs are short and not too far apart.

Danny

LOL

I needed a good laugh and you got me good with particle board.

Gonadtivity perhaps? I finally figured out how to get the Overlay Aggressive brass to show up in Sibelius.

This was a fun piece to compose. I did this one in about 3 hours. Then I went back and fixed it and then once again fixed it and still have at least one more time to fix it, which will still keep this one under 10 hours.

A lot of that time was trying to get sonar to PLay 1 note on the piano. It took me 5 (of basically the same) midis from sibelius into sonar until the note played. I still don't understand it.

I went to the staff view in sonar and added the note, it wouldn't play. I tried in the Piano roll to add the note. The note was added and still it refused to make a sound. It was in the very last gliss the piano has, which is all by itself, so the missing note was obvious.

After going thru 4 midis, the note finally played. I always opened the midi and started in a new project each time and that note didn't take until the last time. Which is of course when I stopped trying.

Any Ideas what I was doing wrong? Or is my computer just playing games with me? I think I got the Gremlin card with my PC.

Two Ups and a Down quark make a Proton. David (EtLux) already had Quarks, so I couldn't use my 1st choice for a name, but the idea is the same.

THanks guys

Ron

This does have a lot of charm, though at times it’s strange. You do occasionally bottom out with the low brass (a thing of beauty), but for the most part I think this shows you in top form, and that’s the truth. I gave this one a few spins before I decided to write something down and…. Oh I give up! I will never be able to write the whole critique using quarky terms….. I must be a boson for attempting it, particularly since I’m positive that this is really about a proton!

Hey Ron, I really did like this. I think in one of my last “critiques” of your music I mentioned that it might be my favorite of yours to that point. Well, it has been superseded – I like this better.

Edit - I just read your last post where you gave it away. I thought I was being clever but took to long to write.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    This was a fun piece to compose. I did this one in about 3 hours. Then I went back and fixed it and then once again fixed it and still have at least one more time to fix it, which will still keep this one under 10 hours.
    That just blows me away. It took me over 2 months to write my latest piece and it's about the same length as this. Well, writing took a little over a month and rendering (and singing!) another month.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent

I started a piece back in August that I am still working on, so don't despair. My last 2 pieces each were done in a day and yet my usual is more like a week. But others have taken me months to get right.

I guess it all depends on the piece. Some just compose themselves.

You still got proton right before reading the answer, so that counts as being clever.

I also really like this piece. I still have a couple of spots to work on but nothing major.

Thanks again

Ron

At three hours, yes, I think it would, as a matter of fact,
    qualify as high-speed quantum physics, at that... undoubtedly
    the underpinnings of the frantic pace. Ron, less coffee... lol!
    (Even Offenbach didn't hold his breath when he wrote.)

It fascinates me lately how much mileage you and others have
    gotten from matters of physics and cosmology -- certainly
    fertile ground for you, my friend!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast