• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX: way too much RAM! (without content)

Share/Bookmark

RMX: way too much RAM! (without content)

so with my new mac pro octo i regulary run in to logics RAM limit which in practice is at 2GB adressable ram. using more lets logic crash instantly.
    having a look at which plugs/instruments use how many RAM i see that only opening an empty stylus eats up 220-230MB !!! thatīs way too much! thatīs more than 10% of the overall available RAM in logic. what do you think? and if you start adding content that of course adds up.
    the most ram-eating plugs i could found up to now eat a maximum of 80MB in a first instance with no content loaded. additional instances use less than 20 MB, while an additional rmx eats another 100 MB!! so iīd guess there is much room for optimizing. on a G5 i barely reached this limit because logic would stutter before i load that many plugs. but now we have to deal with this and iīd love to see an update for rmx which handles itīs ram usage in a more realistc way. in many projects where iīm closed to the 2GB limit, i canīt even open the UI of an existing rmx instance in order to edit some sounds. well, thatīs hard to deal with...
    Mac Pro 8core 2,8 / 14GB RAM / OS 10.6.3 / Apogee Ensemble / Logic 9.1.1 / SX 4.5 / Live 7 / Omnisphere-Trillian 1.3.2 / RMX 1.9.4

Re: RMX: way too much RAM! (without content)

sorry, i only just updated my very dated signature.
    however the same heavy ram consume is true for the G5 and logic 7 and 8.
    Mac Pro 8core 2,8 / 14GB RAM / OS 10.6.3 / Apogee Ensemble / Logic 9.1.1 / SX 4.5 / Live 7 / Omnisphere-Trillian 1.3.2 / RMX 1.9.4

I agree. Stylus is a huge RAM hog. Every time I use more than 1 instance of Stylus I render it to audio because of the high RAM usage. Because of this I find myself avoiding using Stylus unless absolutely necessary.....which is a shame.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Stylus RMX uses more virtual memory than most plugins. But, then it's capable of doing more than most plugins. Each part is capable of doing as much as almost any other virtual instrument ever written, and there are eight parts! Generally speaking, plugins which do more will use more system resources than plugins which do less.

However, there is a section in the user guide about minimizing the usage of system resources, so be sure to check that. Also, if you're on Windows and find that memory usage is a problem, you should look into using the /3GB switch in your boot.ini.

Let me add though, that performance and efficiency are top priorities for us, and we're always working to improve cpu and memory usage.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Stylus RMX uses more virtual memory than most plugins. But, then it's capable of doing more than most plugins. Each part is capable of doing as much as almost any other virtual instrument ever written, and there are eight parts! Generally speaking, plugins which do more will use more system resources than plugins which do less.

However, there is a section in the user guide about minimizing the usage of system resources, so be sure to check that. Also, if you're on Windows and find that memory usage is a problem, you should look into using the /3GB switch in your boot.ini.

Let me add though, that performance and efficiency are top priorities for us, and we're always working to improve cpu and memory usage.

- Glenn
    thanks for you reply. i donīt know if your mistaking me, but iīm talking about physical memory. btw i am on a mac. and it doesnīt seem to make sense that the 8 parts generally eat up memory as if they were all used with 25 editgroups per part and with with all three fx slots filled per editgroup (without having loaded anything) this simply isnīt realistic. btw, i also i canīt seem to find any user guide, neither on my computer nor on your website after a log in. the cpu/ram advices in the faq-section on your website seem to be very pc-centric an doesnīt help at all. so iīll take it as the previous poster an will stop using rmx unless itīs absolutely necessery but that is a shame indeed: all three spectrasonics products are hardly usable at the moment on macs at least. whats next? the omnisphere then will probaly eat 1GB ram for the interface alone. hard to deal with...

Hi,

About the user file...In the bottom right corner of the main interface screen...there is a Disk icon. When you click on that...a menu will pop up...in there is the key to the help file.

The RMX behaviour is rather strange though. Working on a DuoCore 2.0Ghz G5 seems to be totally OK. The template I work with in Cubase...is one with 2 instances of RMX, 1 Atmosphere instance and 1 Trilogy...and that is just to start of with.

So...I guess your best option at this point is to contact Spectrasonics Techsupport.

Good luck!

Ooh...and RAM is 2.5Gb...by the way.

Robin.

I have 4 gigs of RAM and use 3 instances of RMX plus 3 Atmosphere, Trilogy, DKFH, Vienna, Real Guitar, Real Strat and I'm only on a Dual 2.5 G5.

I've never run into a RAM problem and use RMX in every production I do. I wonder if it's the combination of your Mac Pro, Logic 8 and RMX that is the problem.

you didnīt get the point. on my dual G5 2,5 i barely reached these ram-limits with usual "non sample intensive" projects because it would have been running into cpu-limits before. i can easily do what you count up in your post on the octo, but iīd also like to load several instances of NIīs massive, reaktor, absynth or whatever from whoever. just because the cpuīs can handle it, and it would make my live easier. but they all wants to adress ram too. the amount of ram used by an empty instance of rmx seems ridiculous compared to anything else on the market. the first empty instance of kontakt 3 askes for 80 MB of ram, whereas the first empty stylus askes for 230 MB !! almost triple the amount - for nothing.

Yes, you are right...I didn't get your point

sorry

Aah...OK...I 'ear ya.

Go Back to forum