• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Short Steinway demo (by request)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Short Steinway demo (by request)

    Here is one of my upcoming piano etudes newly rendered with the Steinway. A few people have asked to hear something after the review I posted, so I touched this up late last night.

    Etude 0701e

    This is using the 24-bit sample "classic" perspective. Resonances and release samples are on, and the reverb is the included Ambience with just a touch of the "Piano Hall 2" setting. It was input via mouse and rendered from Sonar 6PE without any further processing.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

  2. #2
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    You're freakin' crazy man! I love pieces like a diss!
    Man, that pianie sound so real it is real! How about more?
    Styxx

  3. #3

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    I don't think I've heard any of your piano music before, Jamie.
    I love little preludial constructions like this -- single self-
    contained thoughts that say what they have to say and
    shut up... lol. Nice job on this.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  4. #4

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    Really, really nice, Jamie. The Steinway in such capable pianistic, creative hands is just a joy to hear. Thanks for this delicious little morsel; I know there's a whole lot more to come, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

    Danny

  5. #5

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    Here is one of my upcoming piano etudes newly rendered with the Steinway. A few people have asked to hear something after the review I posted, so I touched this up late last night.

    Etude 0701e

    This is using the 24-bit sample "classic" perspective. Resonances and release samples are on, and the reverb is the included Ambience with just a touch of the "Piano Hall 2" setting. It was input via mouse and rendered from Sonar 6PE without any further processing.
    Nice demo Skysaw. Are you 100% satisfied with the note connections?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    Great etude. With its large range this really shows off the Steinway, which sounds fantastic.
    Trent P. McDonald

  7. #7

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    When I am between pieces is my favorite time to listen to pieces by other composers. Sometimes I will hear 2 -3 notes put together in a piece and then I get my next idea. It usually has little to do with the piece I am listening to, but without that piece, I would still be waiting for my next idea. This piece did it for me after about 3 measures and in the time it has taken to type this out, I have half of a new piece formed in my head.

    Music is amazing like that.

    This piece of yours sounds like a nice conversation that has turned a little sour. Just my kind of music.

    Nice demo as well.

    Ron

  8. #8

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    First, I really like this charming little etude. Nice use of the piano registers.

    When you say,

    It was input via mouse
    Do you mean that this was entered as notation into a notation program by mouse clicking the notes? I find that hard to believe. It really shows human touch behind those notes!

    I really like this piece and would like to hear more of these.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

    Rich

  9. #9

    Re: Short Steinway demo (by request)

    Thanks to all of you for your comments on this. I'll just briefly answer the questions from above.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Nice demo Skysaw. Are you 100% satisfied with the note connections?
    Do you mean the sound of the legato? It's pretty much where I want it. I may introduce a little more pedaling here or there. There is some interplay between staccato and legato in some passages, usually with one hand playing legato and the other staccato while crossing and uncrossing parts. (Some of it too difficult for me to play anywhere near up to speed).

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    This piece did it for me after about 3 measures and in the time it has taken to type this out, I have half of a new piece formed in my head.
    Isn't it great when that happens? I get that too, and often from the listening room.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    When you say,
    It was input via mouse
    Do you mean that this was entered as notation into a notation program by mouse clicking the notes? I find that hard to believe. It really shows human touch behind those notes!
    Yes, I really mean it was entered by mouse! There are a couple of measures I may have played in by hand, but at least 90% of this was drawn in on the piano-roll inside of Sonar (not notation software). I tend to do quite a lot of editing and re-editing of velocities, note-lengths, and note placement after the fact, and being a bit of a pianist helps in phrasing. The tempo map was also drawn in by hand after the fact.

    Thanks again, all. I'll let you know when the set is done, and repost them together. The first two were posted some time ago with the JABB piano, but it may be best to wait for the update to hear it properly.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •