• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo Strings Comparison

Share/Bookmark

Solo Strings Comparison

Here's a solo strings comparison featuring a short piece for violin and viola. The sequences are nearly identical, but the mixes are different. In some spots the articulations differ slightly given the articulations available in the particular library.

Duo a

Duo b

Give them a listen and let me know your unabashed opinion on them.

I won't give away the identities of the libraries right away.

Marko

Re: Solo Strings Comparison

Hi Marko-- I enjoyed this piece very much!

Probably preferred the more intimate accoustic of the first (duo a). Althought the second is certainly respectable as well.

Best,
    Jay

They are both nice for sampled instruments, but the portamento and tremelo of both tracks has unrealistic issues.

The first track suffers from the violin having bad movement of the instrument while each note of it was being sampled, not your fault though.
    Depending on the samples, the instrument dances around back and forth mostly the G sticks out on the right channel, all by itself.

All that being said, both instruments are extremely useful, and your midi work and mixing is nice.

Dan

your first demo doesn't sound very realistic Duo A, it has some issues there is also a part in the beginning with strange flat sounding harmony that just sticks out in the short piece.(tuning?) I think the only thing that I thought great was the Legato.

The Duo B is very good and sounds realistic. It has a better hall sound and is richer sounding all around. It's better mix even, it could fake someone into thinking those aren't samples^_-

yea that's what I thought.

I would be interested in what Duo B is, it has the same sound as Xsamples Solo Strings.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I had the oposite reaction. Now realize that I'm an old rock an' roller and my ears probably have a frequency response shaped like a roller coaster. But I though the first sounded more like acoustic strings and the second was way over-processed and at times synth-like. That being said I do agree that both sound good.

J.

I thought I was having Deja Vu and kept looking at the date to see if this really was a new thread. No wonder, here's the other Solo Strings Comparison thread (by the same author too).

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=solo+strings

Either he has a lot of solo string libraries, or we can deduct from that other thread that he's using EWQLSO XP platinum samples and Kirk Hunter Solo Strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Elhardt View Post
    I thought I was having Deja Vu and kept looking at the date to see if this really was a new thread. No wonder, here's the other Solo Strings Comparison thread (by the same author too).

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=solo+strings

Either he has a lot of solo string libraries, or we can deduct from that other thread that he's using EWQLSO XP platinum samples and Kirk Hunter Solo Strings.
    ha ha! You too have noticed! And it sounds like KH first and then EW.

and here I thought I was hearing Xsamples on the second one LOL!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hi, both of them sound very good but the first one seems more realistic to me. The second one is more than ok, but like said before, a little bit too processed...I would agree that it has the EWQL sound.

I am curious to know the lib used for version A though...
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Hi Marko,

Differences of opinion never end...
    Nice to hear from you.

To my ears and what there is between them, I think if I were playing the violin with my ear about 12 inches from the f hole, I would be hearing the first version. Or- sitting in a movie theater. Or is that theatre?

Then my mind wanders as I think about the responses of musicians ( I do not count myself among them as an amateur) to what they are hearing. Because the second version is more what I would hear from the symphony balcony seat that I can afford. From there I cannot hear the frictional bite of the bow string on the violin string. I cannot see the rosin powder nor smell it. I cannot feel my bones resonate to the acoustic vibrations. I cannot see the broken bow hairs flopping. I would like the overall sound of number 2,but miss the nuance of the distinctive articulations, that is the clean, clear crispness of the execution. Perhaps I would hear that in a small recital room.

So I'm wondering if what the audience hears and appreciates is the same as what musicians hear and appreciate. If the destination is to be heard by general audiences, then the differences that are aired among musicians is what they individually and uniquely bring to the audience for their judgement. it seems that the great ones have the largest audiences over time.

If it is hors d'oeuvres for accomplished musicians, then technique, available technology, current theory and masterful proficiency will account for at least as much as the musical content.

If it is none of the above, it remains for each to only please themself.

I really like your music when you let yourself go. Don't much care what you play it on or with. However, your comparisons do help me decide what sounds I prefer. Thank you.

best to you,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Go Back to forum