• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX in Kit Mode

Stylus RMX in Kit Mode

I just bought and installed Stylus RMX. Everything works great except for one thing. When I use kit mode, my MIDI drum kit does not trigger the drums. My keyboard does fine. Here's the weird part. When I record the MIDI events coming from my drum kit, then play them back, they trigger Stylus just fine. It's only playing live that does not work. They trigger Kontakt 3 just fine, so there is some sort of communication breakdown playing drums live into Stylus RMX.

The brain of the drums is an Alesis DMPro. It's MIDI notes are usually zero length. I tried using Cubase's Transformer to lengthen the notes, but it doesn't make the notes trigger in RMX. And like I said, those same notes trigger RMX just fine when played back.

It's weird, so I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone else has seen this before I try tech support (it's a weekend anyway).

Thanks for reading and any info.

Re: Stylus RMX in Kit Mode

Not sure about this...could it be that the alesis is sending out on a different midi channel than channel 1? If for instance the DMPro is sending out on channel 10...the notes will get to the sequencer...but probably not to RMX? (RMX Kit mode receives only on midi channel 1)

That's about the only option I can come up with so far.

Good luck,

Thanks for your reply. I checked it out sending on channel 1 with RMX set to receive on channel 1, as well as both being set to channel 10, and still no joy.

What I actually get is an occasional midi splat and a rare note being tracked (at least I think it is -- maybe it's just a splat making noise at the same time as I happen to hit the drum pad). I'll formulate this into an email to tech support methinks.

Thanks again.

Solved it by using Midi-Ox following this procedure: http://www.midiox.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB....9210;start=0#0

There is a similar utility for Macs which can delay the note off events enough to give RMX a signal just as Midi-Ox does.

It appears to be a problem with all of the Alesis drum modules. I also saw a Yamaha drum module mentioned. Apparently quite a few drum triggering products do not sent appropriate-sized note information.

Native Instruments or M-Audio ought to make a MIDI drum module made for software.

Sorry to post a running commentary, but if anyone else has this problem, I'd like to have the solution available.

There is an even easier solution. Cubase has an Input Transformer where you can filter out the zero velocity Note On events that are apparently muting the nearly simultaneous correct velocity Note On events. In Cubase, set Filter Target to Value 2 -- Equal -- 0, then set Mode to Filter. Put a check by 1 in Active Module and that's it.

have you looked which note your drumkit is sending?

For example, if i remember right the Drumkits from RMX are going from C#3 and if your E-Drum is sending as a kick, for example the Note C#1 you won't hear anything ofcourse, you have to look which Note the E-Drum Kit is sending ...

Check out http://www.particular-sound.de

Go Back to forum