• Register
  • Help

Topic: Altiverb - what happened?

Share/Bookmark

Altiverb - what happened?

Since my Symphonic Poem is about to be performed/presented (se other thread: Listening Room), I wondered about reverbs, sound balances and other things. For the sound balances I've found a new book. For the reverbs I did a research on the Net.

Read thru different articles, forum replies (even on NorthernSounds), reviews and all other material.

I've seen:
    Voxengo Pristine space - great value for money
    SIR2 - greater value for money
    WizooVerb - not longer available
    Altiverb and some others like Rayverb, ConvBoy.

Since I already experimented with Rayverb and ConvBoy I skipped those.
    Went back to Voxengo and SIR2.
    And finally Altiverb.

I wanted to give it another try, but to my regret the demo version is not longer available for download. I did a search and still found a downloadable version for XP, so I dl'd and installed it. I think I did everything right but when calling it in SONAR it didn't come up. Even wasn't visible in the VST-tool in Sonar.

Next, reading thru those reviews and comments, I found out that quite a lot of people thought that Altiverb was messy, far too expensive, had a strange GUI, the sound wasn't optimal, missing clarity mentioned as an example, and other negative stuff. ....{there was even a reply from DPDAN, who contradicted some of those below zero reviews} ........

I really want to know if it is worth the money and if it is easy to use. I think it is great that you can design the orchestral layout. But how does that interact with your own panning in Sonar. Is there a manual to download?

A bit confused, because our Master DPDAN uses it and all of his demo's are great joy listening to,

Raymond

Re: Altiverb - what happened?

Hi Raymond

I take it you have tried all the obvious things:
    - re-scanning the VST folder in plug-in manager
    - ensuring you have VST plugin highlighted on the tree on the left
    - also looking at 'disabled' VSTs in case it was disabled at some point
    - ensuring altiverb.dll is actually sitting in a VST folder scanned by Sonar

You don't mention PerfectSpace which is bundled with Sonar (at least 6). I think it is better than SIR and Wizoo. It might be based on Pristine Space?

I'll let others comment on whether Altiverb is worth the money, but remember, DPDan's demos were also a joy to listen to before he bought Altiverb.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    You don't mention PerfectSpace which is bundled with Sonar (at least 6). I think it is better than SIR and Wizoo. It might be based on Pristine Space?
    You are correct! I think there used to be a Pristine Space Light, which is now Perfect Space and available only bundled with Sonar. I liked the bundled one so much that I got the fuller-featured Pristine Space, bought some very nice impulses, and was off to the reverb races-es-es-es-es.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    Hi Raymond

I take it you have tried all the obvious things:
    - re-scanning the VST folder in plug-in manager
    - ensuring you have VST plugin highlighted on the tree on the left
    - also looking at 'disabled' VSTs in case it was disabled at some point
    - ensuring altiverb.dll is actually sitting in a VST folder scanned by Sonar
    Did all this. It scanned Altiverb - saw it go by - but when you get that overview window it is NOT there.
    I didn't because this was a part of Sonar itself, I was talking about VST plugs coming from other parties

I'll let others comment on whether Altiverb is worth the money, but remember, DPDan's demos were also a joy to listen to before he bought Altiverb.
    Maybe true, don't know. Yes, he is a master. Can make great coffee out of almost anything

Raymond

re altiverb and 'changing' opinions about it- in the long run everything you read here at NS is also subject to considerations of commercial competition. While thats kind of obvious in a way - its also what I think has happened with this product.

Its very good, its the most expensive and it does chew your CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01 View Post
    it does chew your CPU.
    I think you have said this repeatedly (or did I confuse that with somebody else) but I still don't understand. I can run much more instances of Altiverb simultaneously than with Pristine Space.

That being said the new IRs of Ernest Cholakis are a winner. Add two or three percent of them to the dry sound with any of the convolution reverbs engines and bingo.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

HannesF - i dont have experience with Pristine Space. Next to the Kontakt IRs, and SIR - the only other two I have used - altiverb is a load.

Go Back to forum