• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BARBER ADAGIO-Clarinet Choir

Share/Bookmark

BARBER ADAGIO-Clarinet Choir

Adagio for Strings adapted to Clarinet choir.
    2 Sop Clarinets alto cl bass cl contra alto cl contra bass cl

Latest version..Apr 7th.
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6434817&q=hi
    Gary
    Last edited by garymosse; 04-07-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: revised version-Apr 7

Re: BARBER ADAGIO-Clarinet Choir

Very nice transcription for the clarinet choir, Gary,
    if rather conservative with dynamics.

Especially considering the material, I think I'd suggest
    more room around this; it sounds rather dry.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening, David.
    I just posted a slower version.
    Dynamics were a problem here.
    Bass & contras wouldn't project even with exaggerated dynamics. There were unwritten accents on pick-ups written with pp dynamics. At the end, volume should have been ppp >pppp, but was closer to mf> mp.
    I assume it's the playback feature.

Nice transcription. The clarinets really bring out the dark, mournful mood of the piece. I never thought of it before with strings, but with this transcription in mind I think this might also work well transcribed for organ.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for listening, Trent.
    The first time I heard it was at Bobby Kennedy's funeral. It served its purpose of representing a solemn occasion.
    If I remember correctly, that was not the intention of Barber. I'll look it up...
    Gary

I have done this in a woodwind choir. It is very beautiful and oh so expressive when done well. The long phrases are a real demand on the human player.

You have done an excellent orchestration here. Each instrument in the ensemble is playing wonderful flowing lines. My only criticism is that this shows no direction of line internally due to the notation program. You have done a marvelous job getting the expression to the best it can be but there are just too many tongued notes especially with velocities set too high.

The piece is orchestrated well and I would love to hear a live performance of it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for listening, Rich.
    In the past year I have learned about panning;
    about setting up the reverb; about using dynamics
    and cresc./decresendo to imitate normal playing
    ractice. There are probably other thin©s I can't think of now.
    I can't solve to of the problems specifically on this recording: slurs do not always give †he legato effect they should; andin the playback mode, notes are stressed without any indication.
    A problem in this piece is that transposing the entire work up or down wasn't an option because of its wide range.
    I had no choice but to bring the bass & contra bass down when they went above their range.
    Other than that change, the lines came directly from the score.
    Gary

slurs do not always give †he legato effect they should; andin the playback mode, notes are stressed without any indication.
    Are you just doing your rendering of the piece in the notation program? Finale's human playback adds things that are more or less a problem with the Garritan way of producing dynamics and attack of the note.

Once scored, it is much easier (IMHO) to get desired effects by dropping a midi version of your score (saved as a .mid file in the notation program) and putting that into a sequencing program where you can work directly with all the CC values. I know also that Finale sticks a Controller 123 into the file when human playback is use. I have seen it in my brothers pieces and not mine since I use an older version of Finale. I have no idea what CC 123 does. (??)

At any rate, to get a notation piece to dramatically sound better, putting the piece into midi and transfering it over to a sequencer program is the way to go.

There are some great masters here of using notation programs and I know that they delve deeply into the CC structure of a musical marking and tweak it to there liking. This can be done, once you understand it in the notation program but it is not inherently easy or visible in the program at face value.

I like your orchestrations a lot and like to listen to them. These are only constructive ideas and by no means meant to detract from your fine detail in scoring your work. As for octave choices, we all know too well what an arranger must do to get a given piece to fit the instrumentation. Choices have to be made with regard to range and musical character of the instrument. You seem to always make good choices.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi Gary,

The clarinet choir certainly does this piece justice, regardless of the minor performance issues you're having with the notation program playback (for what it's worth, cc123 is the midi "all notes off" command, which certainly would affect the playback... might be something to look at). Excellent choice of instrumentation and making the transcription work quite effectively to convey the somberness of this piece. I really enjoyed listening this morning... thanks for posting!

Danny

Thanks for your comments, Rich.
    I've dabbled with a few sequencers and I just don't get it. Of course I haven't learned how to enter phone numbers on my cell phone.....
    My comp teacher doesn't think that playback is the key point of composition, but it's the only source I have to hear my music.

Thanks for listening, Danny.
    At what point(where) do you turn all notes off?
    I appreciate your comments.
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast