• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SPAM survey by Steven Johnson - Do not answer

Share/Bookmark

SPAM survey by Steven Johnson - Do not answer

It has come to our attention that a Steven Johnson, allegedly a doctoral student, has been spamming members of this forum with a "questionnaire" asking for specific information about your forum practices.

DO NOT RESPOND!

My. Johnson has not contacted us about this and is in violation of forum rules.There may be risks responding such as phishing, IP hunting, etc. Nevertheless we were not notified by Mr. Johnson.

We apologized if you have been spammed and this person has been banned from this forum.

Using this forum to solicit users of this site to surveys,contests, advertisements, leading members to other forums, etc with out our consent is considered spamming and is a violation of our rules and any offender will be permanently banned and locked.

Thanks to those members who brought this to our attention.

Re: SPAM survey by Steven Johnson - Do not answer

Thanks for this post. I was thinking about calling it to your attention, but did not because I thought I might just be acting like a paranoid old fogey.

Richard

Already gave it a miss. The idea that a docotoral student can afford to pay several dozen subjects on several forums, is just ridiculous.

I answered it before I saw this.

I haven't received a $10 voucher.

I will let you know if I actually get one

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    I answered it before I saw this.

I haven't received a $10 voucher.

I will let you know if I actually get one
    Well, let us also if you get anything you did not want!

Richard

Oh, I missed this. A pity.....

Thank you for warning.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    I was a little leery of this at first however and hope it doesn't become common practice. It will get in the way of the flow of the forum.
    Exactly the point don't encourage people to spam here. There is also the question of your ip address being collected so that you can can collect numerous spam emails from multiple companies with out asking. The most dangerous is phishing All they need is your ip address. This can be acquired from you simply surfing to their site and its over your in box will never be the same again.

Be very cautious when you are asked to do surveys via email. It's no different than timeshare telemarketing on your phone.

If you are unaware of spam issues via emails and forums here are some links. Spam is not good don't encourage it anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam

If this was above-board, I wonder why Mr. Johnson did not get the consent of the admins first but chose to spam the members surreptitiously by private message (which violates forum rules).

masimon is right about being very cautious when you are asked to do surveys. Hardly a day goes by when our inboxes are assaulted by phishing scams (especially those Nigerian or paypal ones.

The survey site was serving as "survey host" and is not the sender or originator of any survey. So anyone can use it to collect info and there is no way to know if a survey is legit.

Those who answered, please let us know if you receive any follow up from the "survey" or strange offers or alien abductions.

Best,

Gary

I adopt a blanket policy to any unsolicited PM or email. I don't even open it; it goes straight in the bin. I wouldn't have any hesitation in reporting such abuse and have done so in the past.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

There is a Steven Johnson at the U of MD that works where this guy says he works. The E-mail address that this guy had on his spam, is the same that is on the UMD site.

That doesn't mean though, that this guy was the real Deal.

I did check him out because I will work on my Masters at UMD.

Ron

Go Back to forum