• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt and Gig conversions

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt and Gig conversions

Hi there,
    Im having trouble with importing Gig files (gigasampler) into Kontakt.
    It does simple "push" and play samples etc.
    But if you load a giga instrument ..for example..the Bob Clearmountain midi drum kit..that comes on the Bob Clearmountain II disc.
    IT does not obey the pitch bend function that opens up the hihats.

And i would imagine thats a simple example. Not an overly complex gig file.

Sure, you could go in figure out how to remap the pb in Kontackt.
    But as i have hundreds of gig instruments ive developed/bought over the last 8 years...im not enthusiastic about doing that.

Yes, i am a giga studio owner and user, however i want to move the GS onto the same machine as my DAW. In the past this has been not a good move. Giga is too hungry. And often i run may giga streams.

So im trying to sort out how big an issue this Kontakt move will be.
    Anyone been down this road.
    cheers

Re: Kontakt and Gig conversions

not the most lively forum.

Ok no need to reply. Did a search in google and can see Kontakt aint quite up to gig instrument conversions of any complexity. So unless i want to spend copious hours and hours remapping the files and adding in the various ctrl changes etc...i have stay with GS.

Yep, I would agree, the best thing is to stay with GS for your gig samples.
    Unless you reprogram you samples, the most complex ones won't be converted propely.

But you know that GS4 will be released in the next weeks right?
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

I think its a very lively forum actually, but this has been discussed before so probably most people didnt want to regurgitate the same thing again. But yea when you convert you lose lots of scripting in your .gig files that is not represented in your .nki files. Simple stuff can be converted but you are just better off staying with GS or picking up a copy of GVI and running it the same way you run kontakt. if you are on a mac then hang loose, GS4 is almost here and GVI4 will follow sometime relatively soon as well. GVI4 will work on macs
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

[quote=Dartanion;564901]Hi there,
    Im having trouble with importing Gig files (gigasampler) into Kontakt.
    It does simple "push" and play samples etc.
    But if you load a giga instrument ..for example..the Bob Clearmountain midi drum kit..that comes on the Bob Clearmountain II disc.
    IT does not obey the pitch bend function that opens up the hihats.

And i would imagine thats a simple example. Not an overly complex gig file.

Sure, you could go in figure out how to remap the pb in Kontackt.
    But as i have hundreds of gig instruments ive developed/bought over the last 8 years...im not enthusiastic about doing that.{/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean about "Pitch Bend opening up the hi-hats". Can you be more specific about that? Why would a pitch bend - I assume you mean Pitch bend wheel - open up a hihat?

I wouldn't agree that importing Giga stuff into Kontakt is only for easy Giga files - not at all. The only stuff that doesn't convert is serious iMIDI stuff, which is not very usual.

If you have .gig files that you want to convert into Kontakt - sounds like you do - contact me at garth@chickensys.com - I can actually do something about it. Same with anyone else - if you have any issues, just drop me an email.
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems, Inc.

Go Back to forum