• Register
  • Help

Topic: Santana Nights

Share/Bookmark

Santana Nights

On September of 07’, I was approached by a good friend and excellent guitarist, and asked to collaborate with him on a project he had an idea for. The project itself was a major undertaking, because I had really no experience in composing any Latin/Cuban style music. We talked for a few weeks and I finally agreed to meet him in his studio in Lexington. When I arrived, I was blown away to see a huge, complete recording/mixing studio housed in a section of a warehouse that had been renovated. I was introduced to a few of his friends who he closely works with and has regular “jam” sessions. We sat and discussed ideas; style, flavor etc. and I began to come up with sparks of inspiration. Over the course of 7 months, we all worked back and forth on various ideas until we had a solid foundation.

Well, after a long 7 months, I am happy to say the project is finally finished. We all agreed that Carlos Santana was the course of our inspiration so, this, the final result, is somewhat of a tribute to the man.

This was recorded in Lexington with live guitar, bass, keyboard, flute and sax. The percussion used in this recording is from various sample libraries.

ARTISTS

John Aker- Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Keyboards

Michael Scott Volo- Lead, Rhythm, Wah Guitar

Jeffery Banes- Flute, Sax

LIBRARIES

Yellow Tools
    Magix
    Fruity Loops
    GPO

MIXDOWN

© Recorded in Lexington at Volo Studio

Last edited by shaver; 04-07-2008 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Link
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Thumbs up Re: Santana Nights

Great John!

Santana is one of my favorite bands... you have created some blissful groove there I must say!!

Santana was one of the many favorite bands during my teenage years around 1969... I remember the Woodstock festival... when Santana played "Soul Sacrifice"... it was almost as good as Jimi Hendrix Great job John... wish I could join the groove on the drums!

Fred

Re: Santana Nights

Great interpretation of the genre. Very nice guitar tones and swirly keyboards.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

John, just golden work on this.

Loved it!

Hope we'll hear you back with more in this genre...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

John

In my senoir year of high school in 1976, my art teacher had Abaraxas and played it constantly thru the year. I have since bought and played out 4-5 copies of my own. I think Carlos is better than Jimi anyday.

This work is in the true vein of his music

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum