• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar Experts...please help...

Share/Bookmark

Sonar Experts...please help...

Hi Everyone,
    I am having the strangest problem...

I have a section of a song that I'm working that I'm trying to bounce, and as soon as it hits 12% complete, there's the Sonar must close error. I've done everything that I can think of, including restarts, bouncing only a track at a time, etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas? I'd really like to get this bounced...the error has happened many many times, and I"m getting frustrated...

I'm using Sonar 4 PE with all updates...I don't remember having this trouble before...

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks and take care,
    Steph

Re: Sonar Experts...please help...

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am having the strangest problem...

I have a section of a song that I'm working that I'm trying to bounce, and as soon as it hits 12% complete, there's the Sonar must close error. I've done everything that I can think of, including restarts, bouncing only a track at a time, etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas? I'd really like to get this bounced...the error has happened many many times, and I"m getting frustrated...

I'm using Sonar 4 PE with all updates...I don't remember having this trouble before...

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks and take care,
    Steph
    Hi Steph,

One of the first things I would try would be to uncheck the "fast bounce" option in the "mix enables" area of the Bounce to track(s) screen. This, of course, takes much longer to complete the process, but it may confuse Sonar less if you're bouncing a lot of midi/audio data.

It's worth a shot, I think.

Danny

Another thought: How much free space on the drive. Is there enough temp. space for the transfer.

Check the default location of the temp audio files, it may be full. I think it is (at least this is where Sonar puts it) Main drive - C:/Cakewalk Projects/Audio Data

That folder can get pretty full because Sonar does not clean adter itself. Carefull thats where all the wave files you are currently working with or have worked on in the past reside - not a bad idea to back that folder up before removing any ancient files!

best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

The easiest work around, if you can do a mixdown/export, is to just do that and then import the mix.

I've had spooky problems like that once or twice before myself and I think I fixed it by recreating an empty project and then cutting and pasting the tracks in from the corrupted one.

Howard

Hi Danny!!

Thanks so much for the suggestion. You know, the funny thing is that I rarely use the fast bounce option - I tried numerous times last night/this morning to bounce using the non-fast bounce and it still hung up.

Well..guess what??! After reading your post, I decided to try again and it worked!

I was going to attach a clip here for you to listen to, but for some reason it won't upload...

Thanks so much for your help

Take Care,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    The easiest work around, if you can do a mixdown/export, is to just do that and then import the mix.

I've had spooky problems like that once or twice before myself and I think I fixed it by recreating an empty project and then cutting and pasting the tracks in from the corrupted one.

Howard
    Hi Howard!

Thanks for the reply I did try that twice, and still had the hang ups. I did get it to work finally, but honestly, I have no idea what was wrong with it, I did everything the same way as normal.

I'm off to bed I think...been a long night

Thanks all for the help!!
    Take Care,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Another thought: How much free space on the drive. Is there enough temp. space for the transfer.

Check the default location of the temp audio files, it may be full. I think it is (at least this is where Sonar puts it) Main drive - C:/Cakewalk Projects/Audio Data

That folder can get pretty full because Sonar does not clean adter itself. Carefull thats where all the wave files you are currently working with or have worked on in the past reside - not a bad idea to back that folder up before removing any ancient files!

best regards,
    Bill

Thanks Bill!!
    I checked this out too, and all looks ok Thanks for your help!!
    Take Care,
    Steph

Hi Danny!!

Thanks so much for the suggestion. You know, the funny thing is that I rarely use the fast bounce option - I tried numerous times last night/this morning to bounce using the non-fast bounce and it still hung up.

Well..guess what??! After reading your post, I decided to try again and it worked!

I was going to attach a clip here for you to listen to, but for some reason it won't upload...

Thanks so much for your help

Take Care,
    Steph
    You just had to show it who's boss!!

Most of the usual suspects were already mentioned, but if all else fails, there could also be a corrupt plug-in in the file. You could try to re-scan them and may get lucky.

Sounds like you're already ok though.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I'm using Sonar 4 PE with all updates...

Steph
    Unckeck fast bounce is a good idea. I rarely if ever use it.

Just F.Y.I. ... 4.0.3 is the beginning of the new audio engine and for me was the beginning of poor performance.

I'm still using 4PE but 4.0.2 is as high as I will go for updates.
    It's faster and more reliable in my experience.

As to your problem ... some trouble shooting thoughts:
    ( Possibly a problem with a plugin )
    As a test ... copy your project to a second "SAFE" version so you don't damage the real one.
    Remove all plugins and try your bounce.
    That might shed some light.

If the bounce still fails: ( possibly a corupted project file )
    from the same SAFE project that has no plugins in it
    CTRL+A then CTRL+C and then close the project file, open a new project file, delete all tracks, and CTRL+V ... pasting all tracks into the new file.
    Once again try the bounce.

If neither of those allow you to bounce I'd try rolling back to 4.0.2.

S

Go Back to forum