• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Ice Cream Truck Music 'a form of torture'

Share/Bookmark

Ice Cream Truck Music 'a form of torture'

Selling ice cream and candy with enticing melodies ought to be outlawed because it is connected to child obesity.

The suggestion comes from Bo Sjöberg, a professor at the Sahlgrenska Academy in Gothenburg, who compares the repetition of ice cream trucks’ jingle with modern torture methods.

“Selling with enticing melodies results in poor health and serious problems for many people,” writes the professor in a letter to consumer minister Nyamko Sabuni. Source: TT/The Local

Bring on this torture!

Re: Ice Cream Truck Music 'a form of torture'

YES!! It is torture!!! I'm glad that others agree with me. The song that played on the ice cream truck that went around the neighborhood all day used to drive me crazy

In New Zealand they all play Greensleeves.
    Which, one the one hand, is great...
    But on the other hand, Greensleeves is the sort of melody that you don't really want to get tired of.
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    The suggestion comes from Bo Sjöberg, a professor at the Sahlgrenska Academy in Gothenburg, who compares the repetition of ice cream trucks’ jingle with modern torture methods.
    If he is ever captured he's in for one heck of a shock
    David

As the trucks have recently started up again in our neighborhood, I was thinking that the ultimate torture would be forcing a person to work in that truck driving around all day long listening to "Pop Goes the Weasel" for eight hours straight. That has to lead to increased alcoholism and domestic violence
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

When I was three or four, my parents and grandparents called the ice cream truck driver "the radio man". He supposedly drove around fixing people's broken radios.

At five we moved to a neighborhood with other kids my age, where I learned that I lived with a family of liars.

["start"]
    e-e-d-d-c-e-g-c-b-d-g-d-c-e-g...
    e-e-d-d-c-e-g-c-b-d-g-d-c-e-c...
    [go to "start"]

You have NO idea what torture is until you live in Taiwan. Here, all the garbage trucks play a HORRIBLE electronic sounding version of Beethoven's «Für Elise». Every day around 6 in the afternoon they start going around in the city and they play this music to announce their presence. You hear them near and far playing this music in fugues....... it's a nightmare. People like this tune so much that even every doorbell I have heard plays it....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Ah, yes
    Here's our lovely swedish tune

6/8 D| F# A F# D - D | F# A F# D - D | G - G E - E | D :|

das is gott, ya?
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

I thought ice cream trucks selling their goods at outrageous prices would have caused them be become extinct years ago (but then again, look at Starbucks). They mostly disappeared as far as I can tell. Although I do remember hearing Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" playing through the neighborhood here a couple of years ago. I figured that was one last straggler who would disappear like all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD View Post
    You have NO idea what torture is until you live in Taiwan. Here, all the garbage trucks play a HORRIBLE electronic sounding version of Beethoven's «Für Elise». Every day around 6 in the afternoon they start going around in the city and they play this music to announce their presence. You hear them near and far playing this music in fugues....... it's a nightmare. People like this tune so much that even every doorbell I have heard plays it....
    I thought they used to have the Maiden's Prayer , which is equally bad to have it every day..and not to mention that some cars have Fur Elise instead of beeping for backing-up.
    Muss es sein? Es muss sein!
    My music: http://www.soundclick.com/Phenyle
    My artwork and photography: http://modusmusica.deviantart.com/

Go Back to forum