• Register
  • Help

Topic: questions about pedals re: Garritan Authorized Steinway

Share/Bookmark

questions about pedals re: Garritan Authorized Steinway

Hi, I have recently ordered the Pro version of the Steinway and have been thinking about the 3 pedals on the Grand Piano and their functions. When I read through the PDF version of the manual for the Steinway, I see that there is full functionality for the pedals programmed into the new interface.

What type of hardware devices can anyone recommend to fully utilize the pedalling capabilities in the Steinway. I have looked at a USB device made by CME called the GPP-2, which is three pedals that evidently emulate the pedals of a grand piano. Does anyone use this pedal?

I am using a Roland A-90 keyboard controller which has 6 input jacks related to foot pedals (hold, total volume, 2 for switching, and 2 that are programmable for various controller functions). I have a single damper pedal and several expression pedals. I'm wondering if I would be best off with a single device with multiple pedals (similar to the CME device) or should I just add another single pedal or two to what I now have?

I have come up with a couple of sites that have good explanations of the functions of the pedals on a Grand Piano that may be interesting to others:

http://www.jeffreychappell.com/pedaling.htm

http://joshuanemith.blogspot.com/200...-of-piano.html

Re: questions about pedals re: Garritan Authorized Steinway

Howdy, Bigears---I take it that it's important to you that you can use the pedals in real time. Because otherwise, the data for the three pedals can be added later via MIDI editing in any DAW:

64--Sustain
    66--Sustenuto
    67--Soft

That's all I'm doing when I use the new Garritan Steinway--I have a standard off/on sustain pedal, but if I want to take advantage of the variable degrees of sustain available in the Steinway, I just edit the 64 data in Sonar's Piano Roll View.

And if I want to use the Soft or Sustenuto features of the Steinway, I just call those controllers up and add the data there in Piano Roll View.

No need to buy a keen but expensive 3 pedal unit. I'd get one if I was performing life with the instrument - but I'm not.

Maybe that will work for you?

Randy B.

Re: questions about pedals re: Garritan Authorized Steinway

Hi Randy, Since writing this post, I have gone ahead and purchased the CME pedal. After some confusion about set-up, I was able to integrate it into my set-up where it is now working out great. Now if I can just learn to use the pedals at the right time!
    I am trying to absorb so much about all the different aspects of using these fantastic softwares, and then how to integrate it into a workable system, and it is a whole lot to take in, practice, and then start using with any ability (at least for me so far).
    This forum is a great place to listen and learn from some of the best. I appreciate your response. Regards, John bigears)

Go Back to forum