• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT-Thumbs up ... or down?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down OT-Thumbs up ... or down?

Today, at 1:00PM EST this afternoon I shall visit a hand surgeon to determine and decide if I need joint replacement in both me thumbs. So, I was wanderink if anyone here ever had this procedure on any of the joints in the hand, finger, or the bar joint down the street? I have to tell you I am a little noivous of having my thumbs pulled apart, drilled, filled, and dilled. However, the constant pain leaves me with no alternative other than consuming mass quantities of azzburn and other pain relievers. Plus, it has evolved to the pernt where holding a drumstick for an extended period of time is proving more of a challenge (not to mention playing the pianie, Sammie.)

Well, anyway ... easynowwatchitnowwait .... don'tgotoofartoofasttoosoon .... Wait ... no, wait ... I just thought I would asksk. But that's OK if you just want to read and not reply. I understand that in this complicated world one must decide what must be said in order to say anything to say when nothing is said because of what they say can only be said by those who say something about nothing said.

Man's Nuts ... Grab 'Em!
    Styxx

Re: OT-Thumbs up ... or down?

Youchie!

I can't imagine doing both thumbs at once. Do you have an option to wait until thumb #1 heals from surgery before doing thumb #2? If so, I would definitely consider it, so that you're still able to hold a cup of coffee in the meantime.

My mother recently had artificial knees put in both left and right legs. She opted to take them one at a time so she could still actually walk with a cane. She was glad she did, and now she's getting around better than ever. Her top speed is 66mph, and she can leap two stories high. Ok, made up that last part, but we were hoping!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hmm, that option may be doable but will see what the sturgeon thinks. Maybe having them both at once would mean less time away from the job, teaching, and playing. Yet, having surgery at different times sounds like a good idea as well.
    Man, ya always have to throw a wrench in the machine. You know, ya can't get me thinking like that. I'll burn too much wood!
    Styxx

Holding a cup o' coffee aint the worst - dont forget the bathroom! I severed both index and middle finger extensor tendons once in my right hand - surgery and recovery took about 8 weeks. They are fine now. Best of luck!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Just make sure that the left thumb ends up on the left hand and the right thumb ends up on the right hand.

And make sure they look clean before you suck them.

Well, I suggest one at a time, with plenty of time for recovery before doing the other! You will be somewhat helpless if you do them both at once. Just imagine yourself in the mall, and have an urgent need for the men's room, but your surgery won't allow you to undo your zipper, etc!

For me, surgery would be absolutely the last resort, extremely urgent. I have declined to consider hip replacement, and as long as I can walk down the road to the mailbox without screaming, that is how it will be.

But you must consider the medications problem. Much (most?) pain medication will cause some drowsiness and lack of coordination, which can quickly degrade your musical abilities!! -- and also make you a dangerous driver. I don't know if any medications exist that will kill all the pain. There is also the matter of side effects such as liver damage, hives, asthma, etc. So before you decide, be extremely well informed about prognosis, side effects, difficulties experienced during treatment, how many hours of physical therapy after surgery, how useful will the thumbs be after treatment, and whatever else comes to mind as a potential problem. Your doctor may get a bit peevish, but the final decision is yours, and it is your body and life that will be affected!

Richard

Those Osteo Docs are great.
    You'll wish you had done it sooner.
    It's a Viking thing.

Well, this doc was fabulous and very clear as to what he will do first before surgery. So, on the fifteenth I will go in for the first in a long series of tests and evaluations leading to therapy, different treatments, splints, and possibly a pizza or two on the side. Best part is I don't have to travel ten light years to get to the clinic. Just around the river, Ben.
    All of this before the last resort which is surgery. This doc, Dr. Moy, was straight forward about procedures and the outcome possibly there of if needed to go that route but only as the last resort. I told him all I want to do is be able to handle anything that comes along especially when it comes to my wife!

I was very pleased with the doctors initial consultation.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post

I was very pleased with the doctors initial consultation.
    Sounds like you got a good doctor. Very encouraging, it seems to me.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Sounds like you got a good doctor. Very encouraging, it seems to me.

Richard
    Thanks, a very rare doctor indeed! I'm to start therapy and testing next Tuesday. So happens I have a fill in gig next Saturday. Ouch!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum