• Register
  • Help

Topic: french horn bouché

Ottawa, ON Canada

french horn bouché

Please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this. I'm working with GPO and Finale 2008. I'm trying to trigger the keyswitch for the french horn mute, I can do that with the keyboard in kontakt2, but I want to do it with a text expression in finale ... using I think a data dump. I think I just need a hexadecimal equivalent of the keyswitch but I can't find one in any finale or GPO documentation. Any ideas?

Re: french horn bouché

you should be able to simply write "sord.", with no playback function assigned to it, and HP will recognize it. It works for me.

you can also do the "notes bouchés" by using the little + articulation.

Bouché and sordino are two distinctively different things.

Bouché is an indication to stop the bell completely with the hand. The sound is very thin and bright. This is typically notated with a + symbol over the note.

Sordino is an indication to play with a mute. This is a softer, more veiled sound than the stopped horn.

The GPO library contains muted horns, but not stopped. The mute samples are brighter and heavier than I am accustomed to, but they are not stopped samples.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Jamie, I was merely remarking that either of the options I mentionned should trigger a KS in Finale.

Since Finale is a notation programme, it's important to know that you can stll write in the indications as you would normally - bouché/sourdine/+ and still get a change in playback.... regardless of whether it's exactly the RIGHT playback.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    just imagine if the question was "does the pitch go up or down when playing stopped
    Answer: It goes down...down...down... whoops! Up!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum