• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jazz, big band sample library... recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

Jazz, big band sample library... recommendations?

Hi all,

Pardon my ignorance but I've not been in this forum for over a year and have not doing a lot of research on new libraries AND... I don't have much time right now to go through one by one so I would appreciate if someone here could recommend me a good sample library/vi that does sounds like James Bond Goldfinger kind of feel (and something like Portishead's second album) and those jazz and brass sounds...

I need quite a lot of articulations if possible and budget should not exceed USD400... Anything that good out there?

Thank you, thank you!

Peter
    Peter Wong
    NEXUSCREATIVE.COM
    MUSIC . SOUND . MULTIMEDIA DESIGN

Re: Jazz, big band sample library... recommendations?

Peter- the only library that comes close to what you ask for is Broadway Big Band. Not cheap- but anything less just doesn't cut it w/regard to realism.

Wow... the sound!

Thanks artsoundz, but it's beyond my budget... However, the product is simply remarkable! Will be in my wishlist

Peter
    Peter Wong
    NEXUSCREATIVE.COM

Hi,

well, there is also JABB from Gary Garritan and Chris Hein Horns Vol.1

CHH has a lot of articulations to choose from.
    I got the chance at "Musikmesse Frankfurt" to play the beta of CHH Vol2,
    and it has some very neat features done with scripting in Kontakt.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Thank you Przemek.

I think either one of them you recommended will work for now at the time being.

It's my first project to work on something very broadway kind of style and comical... Just hope it'll work.

Thank you again!

Pete
    Peter Wong
    NEXUSCREATIVE.COM

Chris Hein - Horns Vol.1 is not perfect for big-band stuff,
    because its only four, very detailed sampled solo-instruments.
    There will be a big update, coming in some weeks, but its still solo instruments.

Chris Hein - Horns Vol.2 is especially designed for small or big sections.
    It contains 16 instruments which easily can be combined to a large
    big-band section with some exiting new script-features in KP2.

CHH Vol.2 will be available in summer, price will be around € 350,-
    Here is a preview:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Don...nd_02short.mp3
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/HornFunk3.mp3
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Birdland01.mp3

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Quote Originally Posted by nexuscreative View Post
    Thank you Przemek.

I think either one of them you recommended will work for now at the time being.

It's my first project to work on something very broadway kind of style and comical... Just hope it'll work.

Thank you again!

Pete
    Hi Pete,

no problem. There was also a library from EastWest for Gigastudio but its not available anymore. Judging from some older demos for this old library it was also neat for som James Bond style.

But I thing you can't be wrong with either JABB or CHH Vol.1

I wish you much success for your first project also.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

I havent heard any sound library that can really do jazz justice. Jazz is just too intimate of a sound. Each player's style and personality mixes to create a sound. Even big band. Maybe not every band has as much individual personality as Duke's did but its still there. And with millions of ways (literally) to interpret each note these libraries just sound aweful. Even the good ones make me cringe.

Orchestral music isnt as noticeable because those musicians spend a life seriously dedicated to section playing in a very rigid manner, like a violinist in a 14 piece 1st violin section - their only job is to be exact on the written note and in knowing and following the concert master

I know this doesnt help you and I apologize for not offering help. I just wanted to point out to those people that havent spent 25+ years playing jazz in small and large ensemble settings that all these "jazz" libraries sound pretty ridiculous and to understand what you are planning to use it for is important. For mock ups its fine, maybe for phone on-hold music or some really cheezy smooth jazz it might pass, but there is no way (today) to get a real Jazz sound from samples
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

For the horns, you might like to consider the Wivi instruments ( www.wallanderinstruments.com ). There is a pretty good demo available to test them out. It will not cover a full jazz brass section, but there are several instruments that you might find useful. A selection of instruments that interest you might fit your budget. Another useful instrument is The Trumpet from Sample Modeling ( www.samplemodeling.com ). It is not only a trumpet, it is also some of the other related brass instruments. Might also fit into your budget. A good combination for your budget could be Garritan JABB (covering the rhythm section and for the ensemble brass/woodwind sounds) plus either The Trumpet or a Wivi instrument or two for the exposed parts and as the "stars" of the ensembles.

I find both Wivi and The Trumpet to be much better than just samples, but I am not sure that one is better than the other. Each (Wivi and The T.) has its own set of strengths and weaknesses and those will play out differently depending on the music you are trying to render. But in any case, I think that either one is easier to use than samples and much more expressive and realistic (to my poor ears) than standard samples. When you compare their prices to something like BBB, then I think that the value-for-money tips in their (Wivi or The T.) direction.

I don't think that there is a demo version available for The T. but the Wivi demo is pretty useful to get an idea if it is for you or not. The range of the demo instruments is limited, but obviously the range in the full product is the normal range (and even beyond if you want to do experiments). Also, the reverb is stuck at one setting in the demo and this sometimes puts people off, but in the full product the reverb is VERY flexible and can go from very wet to completely off (for use with an external reverb).

Happy searching :-)
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein View Post
    Chris Hein - Horns Vol.1 is not perfect for big-band stuff,
    because its only four, very detailed sampled solo-instruments.
    There will be a big update, coming in some weeks, but its still solo instruments.

Chris Hein - Horns Vol.2 is especially designed for small or big sections.
    It contains 16 instruments which easily can be combined to a large
    big-band section with some exiting new script-features in KP2.

CHH Vol.2 will be available in summer, price will be around € 350,-
    Here is a preview:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Don...nd_02short.mp3
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/HornFunk3.mp3
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Birdland01.mp3

Chris Hein

The demos sound really good

Go Back to forum