• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway gloating and technical question

Share/Bookmark

Steinway gloating and technical question

My Steinway Professional came yesterday. I can't stop playing it. I did a shoot out with all my other sampled pianos (don't have Ivory, though) and was just floored by the beauty of the sound. The Aria interface is wonderful. And on top of all that, the decision to make the manual look as well crafted as a Steinway was genious. Gary, thank you for your vision.

I have one technical question. Because I have a super fast Intel Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650), I figured I could install the 24-bit samples w/ no problem. However, now that I've done that, I can't play without crackles unless I increase my latency from 2.2ms to 5.8ms. I know this is a hella plug-in, but I have some real resource pigs and none of the rest of them do that.

My question is, would it make that much difference if I reinstalled with 16-bit to the point I get my latency back to where it was? I'm thinking it wouldn't, but wondered if any fellow nerds might know.

I'll just sit here and play my Steinway until someone can get back to me. Thanks for all help.

Re: Steinway gloating and technical question

Quote Originally Posted by KeithAdv View Post
    My Steinway Professional came yesterday. I can't stop playing it. I did a shoot out with all my other sampled pianos (don't have Ivory, though) and was just floored by the beauty of the sound. The Aria interface is wonderful. And on top of all that, the decision to make the manual look as well crafted as a Steinway was genious. Gary, thank you for your vision.

I have one technical question. Because I have a super fast Intel Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650), I figured I could install the 24-bit samples w/ no problem. However, now that I've done that, I can't play without crackles unless I increase my latency from 2.2ms to 5.8ms. I know this is a hella plug-in, but I have some real resource pigs and none of the rest of them do that.

My question is, would it make that much difference if I reinstalled with 16-bit to the point I get my latency back to where it was? I'm thinking it wouldn't, but wondered if any fellow nerds might know.

I'll just sit here and play my Steinway until someone can get back to me. Thanks for all help.
    What's your audio card?

Hello

First we need to find if the crackles are caused by cpu (dsp) or streaming overload at that
    low latency.
    In the INFO page when you get crackles, are they timed to the "Disk Loss" counter increments?

If so could you try and boost Pre Caching from 32kb to 64Kb and reload the perspective?
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Hello

First we need to find if the crackles are caused by cpu (dsp) or streaming overload at that low latency. In the INFO page when you get crackles, are they timed to the "Disk Loss" counter increments?

If so could you try and boost Pre Caching from 32kb to 64Kb and reload the perspective?
    First, to the previous poster's question, my sound interface is an RME Fireface 800 and have 4 gigs ram. My computer is used only as a music studio--no other software or drivers beyond those that are musically related.

I'm running S.P. as a vst in Sonar 7 Producer.

David, in response to your questions.

The Disk Loss counter never increments, even though you hear crackles.

Also, since Sonar has a CPU meter I can tell you that that doesn't register much either.

Because I'm a curious lad, I did increase the Pre Caching to 32, 64, and finally 128, reloading perspectives every time. No change in crackles.

To make sure I wasn't dreaming, I fired up Akoustic Piano and played that for a while. No crackles.

Hi.

Which effects are running in GS (Ambiance, sus/symp res)? Is the GUI shown? anything to change the number of crackles. Does turning off effects improve the sound?

Cheers

Bingo! It was the GUI. After I turned it off there were no problems. (Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have it up anyway after I set up the sound I want, so that's fine.) I turned on all the effects and it was still rock solid at 2.2ms.

It was only when I went for broke and cranked up the polyphony to 64 that I heard crackles again.

Bravo and thank you for the help, David.

Bravo and thank you for the help, David.
    That is very good to hear!
    Im always the one trying to convince everyone around me that the less GUI animations and candy the better since each time you do a UI refreshes (for any audio product - not Aria specific) it does increase the risk of audio interruption - depending on many factors, especially specific Host Threading/refreshes.

Could you tell what is the model/make of your Video card. Onboard?

I'd probably be one of the frustrating ones for you, too! I absolutely love the GUI for the Steinway! (Feel free to add more bells and whistles.)Generally, after I get a plug-in set up, I don't want any clutter on my Sonar worksurface so I close the GUI anyway.

When I built my current DAW in Jan., the only thing I bought on the cheap from NewEgg was the video card. The full name is "SAPPHIRE 100206L Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card"

Basically, it's an off-brand using the Radeon chipset that costs about $75. It does work great, though, and most people who have bought one are happy with it. I'm using it to drive a dual-monitor system.

I'd probably be one of the frustrating ones for you, too! I absolutely love the GUI for the Steinway! (Feel free to add more bells and whistles.)Generally, after I get a plug-in set up, I don't want any clutter on my Sonar worksurface so I close the GUI anyway.

When I built my current DAW in Jan., the only thing I bought on the cheap from NewEgg was the video card. The full name is "SAPPHIRE 100206L Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card"
    Safe to say that this chipset is more than enough power for Steinway's alphablended graphics.
    Graphic cards and drivers tend to vary on how often and how big the packets they use on the system bus. In any case, im currently looking into ways to ask less and less refreshes to the UI, which is especially busy when rendering the Virtual Keyboard. BUT we already get reports of people finding the current one is not refreshing notes often enough!

So its hard to please everyone

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Safe to say that this chipset is more than enough power for Steinway's alphablended graphics.
    Graphic cards and drivers tend to vary on how often and how big the packets they use on the system bus. In any case, im currently looking into ways to ask less and less refreshes to the UI, which is especially busy when rendering the Virtual Keyboard. BUT we already get reports of people finding the current one is not refreshing notes often enough!

So its hard to please everyone
    Can't you just put that all in the user's hands; i.e., "Check here to turn off virtual keyboard," etc. That way, they can leave on whatever bells and whistles they want!

Sonar has a similar feature. You can turn off constant screen updates when your project becomes so intense those updates begin to hinder audio output.

Go Back to forum