• Register
  • Help

Topic: Phrase Modeled Performance Multi Midi File of the Week

Share/Bookmark

Phrase Modeled Performance Multi Midi File of the Week

I'm planning on posting a demo mp3 each week showcasing the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi using midi files freely available on the web.

This weeks entry is Stolen Moments available at The Jazz Page
    This is a straight rendering of this midi file only removing pitch bend, sysex and all CC except CC64 on the Piano Track. The Drum track was altered adding the swish notes, transposing the pedal HiHat note to match the JABB Brushes mapping and lowering the velocity of the snare.

The PMPM JABB Septet Multi used for the demo is available here The full PMPM distribution is required for the Septet Multi available at Mike's K2 Scripts

Re: Phrase Modeled Performance Multi Midi File of the Week

Wow Mike! This is fantastic and your Multis make quite a difference!

"Stolen Moments" is quite an impressive rendering. Amazing this is from a freely available standard MIDI files and how your multi was able to impart expression.

I am going to copy this to the Listening Room so others can hear this and comment.

Stolen Moments

Thanks for all your hard work in making this Phrase Modeled Performance Multi available to all.

All the best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MMOSC View Post
    I'm planning on posting a demo mp3 each week showcasing the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi using midi files freely available on the web.

This weeks entry is Stolen Moments available at The Jazz Page
    This is a straight rendering of this midi file only removing pitch bend, sysex and all CC except CC64 on the Piano Track. The Drum track was altered adding the swish notes, transposing the pedal HiHat note to match the JABB Brushes mapping and lowering the velocity of the snare.

The PMPM JABB Septet Multi used for the demo is available here The full PMPM distribution is required for the Septet Multi available at Mike's K2 Scripts

What is meant by "Phrase Modeled Performance"? What exactly am I listening to here?

BTW - Anyone else find it difficult to see links in Northern Sounds posts? My link color looks the same as the text.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

I think this sounds great, but like Schneb I have no idea what “Phrase Modeled Performance” is about. I’m assuming that you took a basic midi file and fed it into some type of algorithm to get a modeled human feel? Whatever it is, this rendering sounds great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    What is meant by "Phrase Modeled Performance"? What exactly am I listening to here?

BTW - Anyone else find it difficult to see links in Northern Sounds posts? My link color looks the same as the text.
    Phrase Modeled Performance is mostly marketing but a fair description of a function of the scripts. The incomming midi notes are analyzed and depending on that analysis CC values, dynamics, note placement etc are generated or altered , the goal being a realistic performance of static midi. Nothing in the script that can't be done "by hand" but hopefully a time saver.

The Stolen Moments MP3 is a rendering of a midi file (a very good midi file) available on the Jazz Page rendered in Sonar using the Phrase modeled Performance Multi hosting the JABB instruments in the K2 Player. Of note is all CC's and humanization are generated from the midi files notes and velocity only.

I noticed the link color when I posted, at least their underlined.

Phrase Modeled Performance...the goal being a realistic performance of static midi. Nothing in the script that can't be done "by hand" but hopefully a time saver.
    Since I do not play that well, I often use Midis from the Web and I would like to try this. Any way to use this technique on a Macintosh? My editor is GarageBand 4. Or is this just a "Sonar" thing?

I noticed the link color when I posted, at least their underlined.
    My links are not underlined, and cannot seem to find any way to modify my view preferences.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    Since I do not play that well, I often use Midis from the Web and I would like to try this. Any way to use this technique on a Macintosh? My editor is GarageBand 4. Or is this just a "Sonar" thing?
    Any Platform, Sequencer, Notation program, VSTi host etc supported by the K2 Player and Garritan libraries will work as will the K2 Player Standalone using virtual midi cables.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I think this sounds great, but like Schneb I have no idea what “Phrase Modeled Performance” is about. I’m assuming that you took a basic midi file and fed it into some type of algorithm to get a modeled human feel? Whatever it is, this rendering sounds great.
    Thanks for listening, good explanation of the multi. Anyone who downloads and uses the multi should get the same type of results "No Tweaking Required".

Very impressive work, Mike!

Might I suggest Human Performance Modeling.

The degree to which your algorithmic approach emulates
    the way a real musician would go about playing a given
    piece bespeaks a keen observer and musician behind
    the thinking in your work.

I'm really quite taken with the results you're getting!
    I will definitely continue to follow this with interest.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

Thanks for listening, your comments really made my day.

Go Back to forum