• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I actually use Garritan to produce an MP3 tract?

Share/Bookmark

How do I actually use Garritan to produce an MP3 tract?

I can figure out how load instruments and get them to play the sounds I need, but how do I actually go about reocrding them along a timeline so that I can put other instruments in with it?

Re: How do I actually use Garritan to produce an MP3 tract?

Are you using a sequencer or a notation program or are you using GPO as a Standalone?

Ron

I am using it as standalone. I was under the impression the built-in software would negate the need to buy a third party sequencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchgun View Post
    I am using it as standalone. I was under the impression the built-in software would negate the need to buy a third party sequencer.

Well, in one respect, the Garritan Products are like all sound modules: the are used to generate sound. You can use the stand alone as a solo instrument, but if you want to record any ensemble, you will need a sequencer of some sort, or a notation program that will playback. There are some which are free or inexpensive.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, in one respect, the Garritan Products are like all sound modules: the are used to generate sound. You can use the stand alone as a solo instrument, but if you want to record any ensemble, you will need a sequencer of some sort, or a notation program that will playback. There are some which are free or inexpensive.

Richard
    What would you recommend?

Reaper seems to be a nice inexpensive sequencer, if that is what you are after. I downloaded the demo version and it works very nicely and I intend to buy it soon. It's only US$50 if you use it for non-commercial purposes. If you are after notation software that works lovely with GPO, then I would recommend Finale2008 or for a little cheaper, you can go for Overture4.

All of these softwares will allow you to ultimately create mp3 tracks.

Good luck!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchgun View Post
    What would you recommend?
    Well, I long ago tried out an assortment of sequencers, and made my selection, and use it exclusively, but it is not cheap. The sequencer is Sonar, formerly Cakewalk. I can't offer any advice on other sequencers, but I expect there will be plenty of others willing to share their experience and recommend something suitable.

Richard

If you can find a copy of a British magazine, "Computer Music", it comes with a DVD with lots of free software, including a sequencer.

It has sequencers, samplers, effects, drum machines, etc. Everything you need to get started. After you get a better idea of how this all works, you can upgrade to a fancier sequencer/notation program.

The magazine is only $15 in the states. I usually see it at Barnes & Noble (in the computer magazine section), but I'm sure you can find it in other book and music stores.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum