• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fav Steinway setting, best controller, etc.

Share/Bookmark

Fav Steinway setting, best controller, etc.

I have several questions:
    1. Anyone found the ideal keyboard controller allowing for a wide dynamic range and closest control like a real piano?
    2. Anyone found that a 10K raptor makes a big different over a standard 7000 rpm drive?
    3. What is your favorite piano setting for putting the piano in a dense mix (I assume it is one of the under lid settings, but maybe I am wrong.)

THANKS for all your help. A great product, but I have only had to time to scratch the surface (fortunately not scratching the piano - hey - there is another bonus - no soundboard to clean, wood to polish, etc.)

Re: Fav Steinway setting, best controller, etc.

I had my Steinway on a 7200 RPM IDE drive. I changed the samples to a WD RAPTOR 10K (150 gb drive) and it made a BIG DIFFERENCE.

I am using a Pentium D960 3.6 running overclocked at 3.96 with 4 gb of ram installed (on two sticks of 2gb each).

Using Sonar 6 and it is working great - no hiccups and at 24 bit. YEAH!!!!!

The hard drive makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ab53 View Post
    3. What is your favorite piano setting for putting the piano in a dense mix (I assume it is one of the under lid settings, but maybe I am wrong.)
    Here's on of my favorite settings courtesy of DPDan:

Classic Perspective

Mechanical noise 12
    Sustain Resonance 11
    Sympathetic Resonance 34,
    Ambience: decay 53, diff 0, size 45, predelay 93 ms, width 100, quality 100, variation 0, top of the wet fader is in the middle of the dry fader.

We could probably post the ARIA files and make them available so people can easily load them and use them as templates.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    We could probably post the ARIA files and make them available so people can easily load them and use them as templates.
    That would be really cool, Gary.

I am SO enjoying this software. Even though arthritis is taking it's toll on my playing ability, this is still a real pleasure to play. This has helped me rekindle my passion for playing. Thank you for your vision and bringing it to fruition.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Thanks. Posting the files is a great idea. I waited MONTHS for this Steinway, and I am glad I did. I have tried almost everything else, and this is the only one I like.

Quote Originally Posted by ab53 View Post
    I have several questions:
    1. Anyone found the ideal keyboard controller allowing for a wide dynamic range and closest control like a real piano?
    2. Anyone found that a 10K raptor makes a big different over a standard 7000 rpm drive?

THANKS for all your help. A great product, but I have only had to time to scratch the surface (fortunately not scratching the piano - hey - there is another bonus - no soundboard to clean, wood to polish, etc.)
    I find my Roland Stage Piano (RD-500) works best with the response curve in the far left (bowed left) position. I also think the samples should not be on the boot drive. Other than that, a Raptor doesn't seem to be necessary. Under lid works best (I think) for jazz. Classic works best for classical pieces.

Keith W.

Go Back to forum