• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Westgate FRENCH HORNS?

Share/Bookmark

Westgate FRENCH HORNS?

Hi.

I've been reworking my setup and find something lacking with my french horns. I have all the horns from VSL, Sam and WIVI - but I'm still not quite satisfied (or with my Trombones for that matter)

So now I'm looking at Westgate for when I get some more cash. In particular I'm interested in some user comments on how they like their Westgate horns.

- Do you still use them?
    - Do you prefere them to the other horns you have?
    - Do the legato patches feature crossfade?
    - Are the recordings dry enough to control the room in Altiverb?
    - What can you say about the programming?
    - Has there been any talk offering the whole library for download at some point?

Thanks

Re: Westgate FRENCH HORNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen View Post
    Hi.

I've been reworking my setup and find something lacking with my french horns. I have all the horns from VSL, Sam and WIVI - but I'm still not quite satisfied (or with my Trombones for that matter)

So now I'm looking at Westgate for when I get some more cash. In particular I'm interested in some user comments on how they like their Westgate horns.

- Do you still use them?
    - Has there been any talk offering the whole library for download at some point?

Thanks
    -Yes.
    -For certain applications. One this they have over VSL is consistency in the samples. VSL's samples can be.. wild in terms of waveforms being out of the same DB range for the same dynamic. Sometimes I need to adjust certain notes in VSL. Not with Westgate.
    -AFAIK, they do not. They have legato for a bunch of dynamics, and the use of Ghost keys to trigger the legato between programs. (Each program loaded into Kontakt). The Sustains have X-fade.
    -Yes. Very dry. Use em in Altiverb lots.
    -Programming is very good. No oddnesses. Not buggy at all. The use of Repetitions is unique, and works well.
    -AFAIK, not yet. Tim's working on a Celtic Harp library, and the Rare Winds library right now. He's got his Woodwinds done, but the Perc and the Brass just started. I think Trumpets then Trombones are next. Could be a while yet.

~Fire

EDIT: Also worth noting, the Round Robin samples for Marcato and staccato are both 4x, and theres a program to load both Stac and Marc and KS. Also, Fast Repetitions via BPM.

The sections are great, but the Solo horn, if totally exposed, could show weakness. Wivi is much better for a Solo voice. Example:

Westgate:
    http://www.zreomusic.com/music/test/HornTest4.mp3

WIVI:
    http://www.aixsyd.com/music/wtfisthis.mp3

This result, though, is pretty obvious. One's got full expression control, one doesnt. One's a Synth, ones static samples. You know.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen View Post
    - Do you still use them?
    Hi Christian,
    -I use only the Westgate Horns - I wouldn't use any other horn library/synth. The samples are great.
    -I don't know about the programming - I never used it. I developed my own virtual horn K2 instruments/multis instead.
    -Very dry samples.
    -You can download most of what Tim has released so far though Big Fish.

I have SAM and Westgate horns but my preference is for the Sonivox horns.. they really pack a punch. Westgate works good when it is not in exposed parts.

I really like the Westgate Modular stuff
    having the option of starting off with a $70 download is really cool too

the Legato and the XFade are in separate Instruments (I'm using K2)
    but you can easily tweak them to work as one:

load the Legato patch and go into the "sustain" group and select - delete the zones (leaving an empty "sustain" group).

sharing the same midi channel, load the Xfade patch, limit the voice count to 5 (so it's monophonic, like the Legato patch)

now you have Legato Xfade

Save and post .nkm!! Gooo!!
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I forgot you have to delete the zones from the "Leg_sustain" group too.
    and also back off the attack a little in the volume modulation in the xfade patch.

Sam,
    I think I need to have permission from Tim in order post the .nkm in public (not sure).
    I'll PM you it

Got it. Very awesome. Will try it out.

~Sam
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I've been considering this one myself for quite a while and finally bought it today. Big Fish Audio will let you buy just the solo horn (all the open + all the muted and stopped articulations) without the 2 and 4 horn ensembles. Since I am working with very small orchestras and doubtfull that I will ever have need of more than one horn playing in unison, this was a good deal for me. It cost more than the solo open horn sold and less than the whole package sold by Westgate.

I am still downloading it. My Internet connection went out earlier today and it has been extremely slow downloading this archive since then. The other performance seems okay (email, etc.) so I am not sure if the problem is wholely on my end. If I were Big Fish, I would offer an option to download in smaller files. It would help in situations like this -- and also for anyone who doesn't have a broadband connection.

I have no problem with posting program files for our instruments...just not the samples of course.

Thanks for the good word on our horns.

We'll be making an announcment about our two latest libraries sometime this week.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Go Back to forum