• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: - Ghost Songs Of The Algonquin

Share/Bookmark

- Ghost Songs Of The Algonquin

Hi everyone,

This is a little movie theme-ish, I guess -- but, if so, very much in an "old school" way. I just wanted a quick project to put my heretofore un-used Gofiller to use, albeit for just a bit in this. I also used Gunther's (germancomponist) CMB "Big Trumpet" for the couple of short solo trumpet things (and elsewhere in the section sounds).
    So, thank you Gunther! It worked out great in this, I think.

This is Ghost Songs of the Algonquin... Think old 1950s, black and white cowboys and Indians westerns (with just a couple of somewhat modern twists, like the flugelhorn solo spots -- just hard to resist that sound!).

All GPO and CMB with the JABB flugel and percussion thrown in.

http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Algonquin.mp3

Thanks for listening!

Danny
    Last edited by DDW; 04-13-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I'm a dolt

Re: - Ghost Songs Of The Agonquin

Hi,

I really liked it. Does make me think of the of the old 50's Indian and Cowboy westerns. Impressive solo flute. Very dynamic.

David

Danny,

Nice piece!!! I really enjoyed all the twists and turns. And I have to agree with you, that flugelhorn part was way cool...very well done!!! Thanks for sharing!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Danny

Did your wife help with the flute solo? Or just give her okay?

I can see The Duke saddleing up with this. I miss his movies. They just don't make anymore John Wayne type movies.

I do wonder though, if you had not put that idea out there, where my thoughts would have ended up.

What are the Agonquin? Am I missing something or are you missing a 'L'

This doesn't have any Jazziness to it. Are you branching out or have I just not heard all of your works? I like the approach you have taken in the orchestration but I would have liked the Big Brass part to go on a little longer. I thought the Indians (sorry Native Americans for those who are PC) were coming over the ridge to attack and then it stopped. Oh well, maybe the cavalry got them when I wasn't watching.

Another great piece Danny!!

Ron

Excellent writing, young man! I found this thoroughly enjoyable from the tranquil flute opening to the somber closing chord. Very cinematic and very professional.

Thank you for sharing your fine music with us.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

THis is fantastic in every respect. The mood/character changes, supporting harmonies, orchestration, phrasing, articulations.....everything.

Very, very nice Dan.

Steve Winkler

Danny -

I LOVE IT!!

It's great music! When the time permits, it's why I come here!

Excellent writing. Excellent sequencing! Very expressive and an absolute pleasure to listen to, Danny!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Danny,

If I were a movie director I would be greatly inspired by your music for a scene or even a whole movie!
    It was a pleasure to hear the wide spectrum of the different elements within your composition!

Yudit

Re: - Ghost Songs Of The Algonquin

Great opening - it sets up the first big climax in a wonderful way. There is a lot of great material here, and it all fits together and flows just beautifully. Very, very impressive. Cinematic without being cliched - and given that we have all seen so many movies, that it truly an accomplishment.

And, glad to know that this was about a tribe, and not the hotel...although those ghost songs would be pretty interesting, too

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
    Hi,

I really liked it. Does make me think of the of the old 50's Indian and Cowboy westerns. Impressive solo flute. Very dynamic.

David
    Hi David,

I appreciate you stopping by to listen and comment. Thanks for the kind words!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician
    Danny,

Nice piece!!! I really enjoyed all the twists and turns. And I have to agree with you, that flugelhorn part was way cool...very well done!!! Thanks for sharing!

Gary
    Thanks very much, Gary! I wasn't totally self-convinced about using the flugel, but I'm just addicted to the sweet, smooth sound it has -- one of the best among many greats in JABB.

Thanks again for listening and the positive review of this piece!

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast