• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Industrial Pleasure" (longer orchestrial piece)

Share/Bookmark

"Industrial Pleasure" (longer orchestrial piece)

Hello . . . .

Ugh! I JUST finished this longer composition about 1 hour ago.

I started writing this piece. . . ohhhhhhh. . . in January. (Sigh. . . . )

Click Here: The Menu (new title) .

This particular piece is an attempt to writing in "longer form"; to write something longer than 3 or 4 minutes in length which is how long my compositions generally last. This composition lasts about 7 minutes. So, the major goal for me in writing this piece was simply to practice composing (simple theme development, exploring a different form structure, etc., etc.). The basic form of this piece is A-A-B-B-A-B-interlude-C-C-D-D-C-D-interlude with B-A-A-B-B-ending. Before I wrote a note down on the manuscript paper, this is the form structure that I committed myself to use.

(I am soooooo rusty when it comes to writing music.)

Another goal for me was to explore orchestration a bit more deeply. I used my ear. In other words, I used the "let's try this and let's try that" method of orchestration. LOL!! If a certain combination of instruments sounded good together, it stayed. If a combination sounded completely horrible, it quickly got "erased". LOL!! I'm fairly certain that no music college offers the "let's try this and let's try that" method of orchestration. But until I buckle down and make the time to study orchestration (I plan on using the free course offered on this web site), this method is what I'll use. It's kind of fun and frustrating at the same time. When it works, it's fun. When it doesn't, and I end up deleting several measure worth of music, it's very, very frustrating.

Yet another goal for me in writing this piece was to explore blending together different sound libraries. The sound libraries used were, of course, Garritan's GPO and JABB! These two make up about 60% of the instruments heard in this piece. I also utilized an orchestral library produced by Kirk Hunter Studios which I purchased last December. It's the Diamond version. I like it. It seems to blend well with what I consider the "work horses" of my instrumental sound library: GPO and JABB.

Anyway. . . I hope you like this piece. It is long, or at least "longer", composition. I like it. No doubt, though, I need to keep on practicing composing. The more one practices that better one usually becomes. The composition itself is what it is. The mix, however, has room for refinement. It's a fairly rough mix. If you hear anything within the mix that might need improvement, please feel free to comment and offer thoughtful suggestions.

I thank you ahead of time for taking the time to listen to this piece.

And. . . as always. . . Happy Composing, Folks!!

Ted

Edited: I have changed the title of the number to "The Menu". It is the first of four (or maybe 5) compositions that, together, will be titled "Musical Sweet" (pun intended! ).
    Last edited by efiebke; 10-27-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: I've retitled the composition
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "Industrial Pleasure" (longer orchestrial piece)

Ted

Many of us here follow the "let's try this" approach. I think we learn quickly that tubas and Oboes don't mix together well. In fact, I think it can be an excellent way of learning.

This is different from what I have heard from you in the past and I think it is always good to branch out like this.

Well done

Ron

Hi Ted,

I was quite, quite taken with this, Ted! Listened
    through it several times, in fact... admiring the
    clear, open voicing, skillful motivic construction
    under the hood, melodic beauty -- and most especially
    the inviting sense of soaring, spacious climes.

Yet throughout, I hear the distinct voice and spirit
    of Ted Fiebke; clearly identifiable as -- you.

Ted, I would like to strongly encourage you to take
    this further... perhaps a suite with this movement
    as the central one? Within the rich undercurrents
    of this style, there's so much more waiting for you
    -- and us!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Many of us here follow the "let's try this" approach. I think we learn quickly that tubas and Oboes don't mix together well. In fact, I think it can be an excellent way of learning.

This is different from what I have heard from you in the past and I think it is always good to branch out like this.

Well done

Ron
    Ron -

Thank you for the listen! (I just finished listening to your composition. Thanks to you, I have some ideas for the next time I attempt to write a more longer-form style of composition.)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that attempts to orchestrate using the "Let's Try This" methodology. My biggest weakness with this method of learning is that I can't remember the orchestrational mistakes made in past attempts of writing! LOL! I've quickly skimmed over the free Orchestration Course found on this web site. I must do more than just skim over this course, though. (It's free, for gosh sakes!) I'm looking forward to more musical learning.

Thanks, again, Ron!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I was quite, quite taken with this, Ted! Listened
    through it several times, in fact... admiring the
    clear, open voicing, skillful motivic construction
    under the hood, melodic beauty -- and most especially
    the inviting sense of soaring, spacious climes.

Yet throughout, I hear the distinct voice and spirit
    of Ted Fiebke; clearly identifiable as -- you.

Ted, I would like to strongly encourage you to take
    this further... perhaps a suite with this movement
    as the central one? Within the rich undercurrents
    of this style, there's so much more waiting for you
    -- and us!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you, David, for the encouraging words. I'm honestly taken back with the idea that someone actually listened to this (kind-of) long piece more than once! LOL! (Actually, I listen to most music here two or more times as well. I find that I pick up musical ideas that I missed during the first listen.)

With regards to making this piece into an even LONGER one. Hummm. Although I wasn't planning on making such a work out of this piece, I might just take you up on your suggestion! I never wrote a suite before. To be honest, I don't even know what exactly makes up a formal-styled suite. (Is there even such thing as a formal structured Suite??? ) I am keenly interested in learning and developing the more longer forms of musical composition. So, maybe this particular "project" is as good as any to start "learning and developing". I do, after all, need to write my 2008 Christmas CD! I've been writing and giving "home-grown" CD's as gifts to family and friends these past few years.

David. . . Happy Composing to you, my friend! Peace to you and your family!

Ted

Ted,

This is actually the first piece I hear from you, and what a piece it is!
    You have accomplished what you had in mind and created a very good structure, finely balanced and varied with different motives, instruments and playing techniques.
    I enjoyed this thoroughly.
    Do write more often!

Yudit

Ted,

This is really well done. The energy of the opening is great - the use of the ostinato was just the right touch. It kept things together and moving. The lyrical contrasts work very well ( I like how there is still that off-beat undercurrent ); very effective use of pizz in the strings. You have succeeded in your exploration of orchestration; or at least come up with a work that is successful - I can't say what your end goal is, of course.

The rendering is superb!

Whether this becomes a part of something larger - as David suggested - or not, it works quite well on its own.

It may seem like a long time, but to write and render a piece like this in a few months qualifies as quite productive in my book...

Great job!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ted,

Very interesting piece. The orchestration is very affective in my opinion. Rusty or not, keep it up!!

Steve Winkler

It is nice to hear a piece that has for thought and concise structure, more contrast in dynamics will help differentiate your melodic development and allow individual dramatic statements. Good conceptualization of idiomatic styles. Thank you for posting this.
    John.

Ted,
    while I have no clue what AABBBC or ACCD etc is,
    I always enjoy your music.
    You have a great ability to keep the listener interested with joyful sounds and expression.

Thank you for posting this Ted!

Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast