• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ethnic Instrument Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Ethnic Instrument Libraries

What is the benefit, if any, of supplementing EWQL RA with one or a combination of the following:

Ethno World 4
    Bela D Spiritual Wind
    Bela D Celtic
    MOTU Ethno

Re: Ethnic Instrument Libraries

While I don't own any of those I do have RA and I've tried out Ethno world 3 briefly. It does have a lot of instruments that RA doesn't. They are not sampled as deeply though, so you might find yourself a bit more limited articulation wise. There's a lot of nice sampled phrases though.

Celtic Wind is really good. It would definately boost your celtic instruments.

I find Ethno World 4 to be the perfect compliment to RA.

Ditto the previous poster - far more breadth than RA , but less depth.

Use it more than RA these days, but maybe that's because I'm a little RA fatigued

HTH

Jim
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Pretty much the same as what was said above. It's the same as with orchestral libraries, having different choices gives you different options for different situations. What's nice about Ethno World 3 (I haven't upgraded to 4 yet) is that the lack of depth is actually a bonus if you want to layer a couple instruments to create a new texture.

Actually I have to emphasise that Ethno 4 really is quite extensive compared to RA.
    I'm pretty sure they've added a lot since Ethno3 (I can't confirm this as I didn't have Ethno3) .

RA is deep, but soooo small in it's span of instruments.
    -----------------
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Ra has about 75 different instruments, not counting individual patches and small variations of each instrument. That is hardly what I would call "small". It is far bigger than almost any other ethnic library, excluding Ethno World 4 (and it was comparable in size to earlier iterations of EW)
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

75? There's more than 200 in Ethno4.

I also feel, and this IS my bias of course, that alot of the European instruments ( namely Alpenhorn, Bag Pipe Ensemble, Bass Recorder, Frame Drum, Gadulka, Hardanger Fiddle, Highland Pipes, Hurdy Gurdy, ) and American/Australian instruments ( namely 890 Washburn Guitar, American Jaw Harp, Banjo, Didjeridoo) are less useful in an 'ethnic' collection than a really extensive set of Mid East/Asian/Indian instruments.

But maybe that's just me. Guess I've just never had a project in which they were in any way useful nor do I find them particularly inspiring as creative seeds.

No complaints about the other instruments in Ra I must add

Jim
    -----------------
    9 Gig RAM

Go Back to forum