• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I think I broke my Steinway already...

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation I think I broke my Steinway already...

---removed---

Re: I think I broke my Steinway already...

Hi

While BSODs are a sign of some form of hardware/driver trouble, it is always interesting to check out the details of the logs prior to such a crash.

Could you run the "Report Technical Issue" shortcut in the start menu and follow the instructions? Im a bit curious.

Which version of Sonar is it? I tried SteinwayVST on 6 and 7 both x64 and 32 bits.

Cheers
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi

Looking at your logs now and investigating, thanks for sending them over,
    will see what i can find.

BTW The word "destroyed" in C++ is plain normal
    You create objects and you destroy them when they are not needed anymore.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruc...puter_science)

Cheers
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

OK this thread wasn't as much fun as I thought it was going to be.

I once broke a Steinway. Back in my youth I adored really violent music, and my 1st year recital of Ginastera's 1st Piano Sonata saw off two strings. The lecturer who had responsibility for maintenance of the department's instruments nearly had kittens.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    BTW The word "destroyed" in C++ is plain normal You create objects and you destroy them when they are not needed anymore.
    I really hope that XP is programmed in C++. I love that "destroyed" sentence.

Raymond

Jon,

Man, that really sicks! I feel your pain.

FWIW, it's working fine for me in Sonar 7.02 and also as standalone. My DAW is a dedicated machine and has never enjoyed being on the 'net. 95% of the programs on it are music related. My samples are loaded on an external USB Seagate 400GB 7200 rpm drive.

I hope you get your problem solved. You are certainly in good hands with David.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

It's working fine for me too, in Sonar 7.02 Producer edition and as a standalone. I just received it Saturday, however, and am still playing with the parameters. I really like "Gary's Favorite" settings.
    The only problem that I notice is that in stand alone, and in Sonar (before I freeze the synth) I seem to get a lot of crackles. I am monitoring the CPU and disc usage via the task manager, and the samples are running off of a Raid 0 array, so I have no disc issues, nor CPU issues. The crackles seem to go away, however, once I freeze the synth.

Surely this will be fixable. I am running the pro version in Sonar 7 PE as a VST and it is working fine. I installed it with the 16 bit samples and I have a bit of crackling until I close the GUI and then everything clears up. Good luck, I hope your problem gets solved soon. John

As I said in another thread, I am using Steinway Pro on a Pentium D960 with Asus P5WD2 motherboard with 4 gbs of ram with the 3gb switch. Using Sonar 6.
    I am using the 24 bit samples. I first tried it on an IDE drive that was 7200 RPM and I got some glitches. Then I switched to a WD raptor 10,000 K drive and I have no glitches and can turn on anything in the GUI with no glitches.
    I have to believe that the new Core 2 Duos or the Quad processors would do even better.
    But I do believe it is wise to use a 10,000 gb raptor drive.

Jon -

I'm sure David will make some suggestions, but putting all realistic and practical elements to the side for a moment, perhaps we can clear this up:

Poltergeists, plain and simple!

Seriously, though, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. If enough of us send good thoughts your way perhaps your computer will live, and you won't have to do any more than make a few adjustments.

Best,

Joe

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast