• Register
  • Help

Topic: 16 Bit or 24 Bit Garritan Steinway sample load?

Share/Bookmark

16 Bit or 24 Bit Garritan Steinway sample load?

When I installed my GS package I chose the default 16 bit sample installation. Everything is fine - I have no complaints.
    However, I am wondering, if I should decide to install the 24 bit files now what is the best and most correct procedure? Do I need to completely uninstall everything and re-install, thus using up another of my 4 authorized installations? Or can I just uninstall the sample files from their hard drive and install the 24 bit files? I don't want to screw up this wonderful instrument so I shall defer to those with more knowledge than I. All help greatly appreciated. And, thanks again for such a wonderful instrument.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: 16 Bit or 24 Bit Garritan Steinway sample load?

Hello

We've designed that Sample Manager utility with that purpose in mind.
    Run it again, choose uninstall on the various perspective you want to change, hit apply,
    then install them back as 24 bits.

No need to reinstall whole thing, just the perspective you want to change.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Wow! Thanks, David. That is really good to know. This just gets better and better.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Hi David (Plogue):

An interesting point. If you wanted to delete a perspective that is already loaded (on Mac Pro Intel), can you just "delete" it (trashcan) and then reinstall it later witht the Sample Manager, or must you RUN the DEINSTALLER (from the Sample Manager) then reinstall it with the Sample Manager? Using 16 bit samples only.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Question Re: 16 Bit or 24 Bit Garritan Steinway sample load?

This is an interesting thread. In the course of installing the Steinway, my DVD burner died, so I ended up with less than a complete installation. Not understanding how the whole sample manager thing worked, I uninstalled the Steinway and reinstalled it after replacing the DVD burner. All in all, I think I uninstalled a couple of times before I finally got everything installed correctly. How do I ensure that only one "official"installation has been made? This was all on the same PC - I do hope to install the Steinway on a laptop once I purchase a new one at some point in the future - but how do I know that only one installation has been oficially registered?

Hi

Each time you start Sample Manager it checks to see if its "knowledge" of where the samples are for each perspective is still valid (if not its going to set the corresponding perspective to "not installed")

Now if you want to tell Sample Manager where you manually moved a perspective,
    just hit the "locate" option for each perspective, and point to the new folder,
    It should scan to see if all the files are there and give the thumbs up or not.

You never have to uninstall, unless you really want to get rid of a perspective entirely.

EDIT: as far as the "number of installs allowed", this only counts for the main install package, not, for the Sample Manager's "management" of perspectives. Dont be afraid to abuse of Sample manager and try 16/24 bits, external/internal Hard Drives, until you find a setup that does what you need
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Question Re: 16 Bit or 24 Bit Garritan Steinway sample load?

Yes, once I remember seeing an error message of some sort saying that it would set the perspective to something like "not installed". Does this mean that it counts these installations as multiple installations, or is there some way that now that I have the entire package installed successfully I can reset it to a single installation?
    By the way, I thought that I would give you some feedback on the 24 bit installation on an XP SP2 box with an Intel P4 with a 3 Gig processor and 2 Gigabytes of RAM - The CPU and memory are hardly budging, even inside of Sonar it looks as though the CPU only gets to ~30%. I have the actual samples installed on a Raid 0 array of (2) 250 GB hard drives. I was concerned that I needed more horsepower before installing the 24 bit perspectives but I don't believe so now. By the way, I use a freeware utility called End It All that brings up all of the current processes and allows you to choose which processes you want to keep (can't get rid of everything), then allows you to kill all other processes. You have to play around a bit, but this allows you to free up resources prior to starting either the Aria engine or Sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Hello

We've designed that Sample Manager utility with that purpose in mind.
    Run it again, choose uninstall on the various perspective you want to change, hit apply,
    then install them back as 24 bits.

You guys rock. I'm inferring from this that you cannot have 16- and 24-bits co-installed, correct?

Just for my own curiousity (I chose to install 24-bit samples and they work perfectly), I know that there is a big performance hit when you change sample frequency from, say, 44.1 to 96khz.

Does the same logic apply to bit-depth as well? Or is the difference in performance hit between 16 and 24-bit similar? I'm just wondering if you included 16-bit more for compatibility than performance?

Go Back to forum