• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Expression!!!

Share/Bookmark

Using Expression!!!

Hi

I have been trying for a while to get my strings to swell and decay better, but still I am not satisfied with my results. To me they still sound synthy and lifeless. I only have AO and US.

I just have a volume slider, or sometimes draw in expression in Cakewalk, but it feels unnatural to me. I wish to use something else, that can help with expression.

Any Ideas?, King, Maarten, Francis and of course anyone else is welcome.

Also I think I could get better with just a volume slider, but the problem I have is that it increases cc11 and decreases to rapidly, thus from too soft , too loud.

I also have a hard time to know the correct timing when to increase and decrease volume, as I do not know the dynamics of the Strings too well.

What is the correct way to decrease and increase expression(volume) say with a viola, (how do you imagine the viola being played, when using expression technique?

Thanks all, and yes I am but new to all this and am trying!!

Please share some light

Its dark in here!!!

Re: Using Expression!!!

The thing about expression control is practice, practice, practice. After doing it awhile it will become second nature. Get used to your slider and just practice swells and decays on simple string lines. I use a ribbon band slider and I used to not like it, but now I\'m completely used to it.
    Expression does require tweaking as well with velocity notes, different takes, etc.
    You\'ll get the hang of it eventually .
    http://damonbbradley.tripod.com/damonbradley/

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 03-25-2002).]

Caveman,

its really dependant on the piece of music.

Different \"curves\" work better for different pieces.

Sometimes you want the sound of strings to have a VERY SLIGHT sfortzando sound, where you hear an attack but then it immediately fades down and then an \"expression\" swell comes up.

Try humming out the line the way you want it to sound and pay attention to what is happening volume and expresion wise in your voice. Maybe even record yourself humming the part and try to mimic it with CC controls and fades in the MIDI strings

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

The only way to get expression in strings or most any other instrument is to put it in by hand in the sequencer program. I use Performer and it works.

clueless

King,

The way you have of describing complex things simply is quite impressive.

I have several times thumped myself in the forehead in reaction to one of your single-sentence problem-solvers with an \"Of course! Why didn\'t I think of that!\"

Case in point: Hum the melody and emulate how that felt in MIDI.

Really...you are not an Idiot...you are a King...

All the best to you & please keep \'em coming!

Jim

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    [B]Caveman,

Try humming out the line the way you want it to sound and pay attention to what is happening volume and expresion wise in your voice. Maybe even record yourself humming the part and try to mimic it with CC controls and fades in the MIDI strings

Jim Glad I could help.

I thought of this idea after I tried mocking up some strings to mimic movie scores I liked.

I would always hum stuff or Whistle it and I realized that I could to the same with what I hear in my head.

my problem is keeping focus on the haormonies and tonal structure of what I hear in my head.

I\'ve got to learn how to \"hear\" that stuff more concisely. I\'ve always been able to pick out harmonies and \"chords\" on a guitar, but balance and cchords in an orchestra....I get lost too easily. Too many different voicing options.

Other things that really help. Counting a tempo out and recording yourself counting, then mapping a tempo map to the count...or mapping a tempo map to you humming (or better Dah-ing for percussive \"locating\" points for each note). Or groove templates even

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum