• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vienna VS Garritan solo strings

Share/Bookmark

Vienna VS Garritan solo strings

I'm curious if anyone could comment on the comparison between Vienna's solo strings and Garritan's solo Vln & Cello (which seem to have gone missing so I'm kind of thinking he's got a whole section coming out). Anyone?

J-

Re: Vienna VS Garritan solo strings

J. Whaley

The Strad and the Gofriller have been discontinued so it is a moot comparison.

We are working on GOS2 which will incorporate section strings along with the solo strings. We'll be introducing some new things with GOS2 that I believe will set some new standards.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    J. Whaley

We are working on GOS2 which will incorporate section strings along with the solo strings. We'll be introducing some new things with GOS2 that I believe will set some new standards.

Best,

Gary Garritan
    ARG... Can't wait! I've been waiting for GOS2 for years

Regarding the original question. I have not tried the Strad but only the Gofriller. I like the tone of Vienna better and would likely mostly use that. However one of the cool things about the Gofriller (and strad) is the ability to control vibrato which can come quite in handy.

Another option for you is Xsample http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56560

I have not tried it, but some of it sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    J. Whaley

Best,

Gary Garritan

Gary - any ETA on this GOS2? Also, I still use your 'string FX' from GOS1 - are you planning on having plenty of that as well?

All the best,

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott View Post
    Gary - any ETA on this GOS2? Also, I still use your 'string FX' from GOS1 - are you planning on having plenty of that as well?

All the best,

Rob
    I'm also really interested, although I don't think Gary's going to give much away, with his new policy of playing his cards a bit closer to his chest.

I no longer use Giga, and haven't been very successful at importing GOS into Kontakt; crossfades in particular are particularly bad at importing. I can't wait for GOS2.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    careful what you ask...he may tell you it's "imminent"
    Not this time.. but I will say it's "eminent".

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley View Post
    I'm curious if anyone could comment on the comparison between Vienna's solo strings and Garritan's solo Vln & Cello (which seem to have gone missing so I'm kind of thinking he's got a whole section coming out). Anyone?
    Hi J,

I have both. I gotta say, in all honesty, that as groundbreaking as the Strad and Grof are in terms of expression, Vienna's solo strings sound a LOT better.

I hesitate to mention this, only because I have a lot of respect for Gary, his philosophies, his willingness to share and educate... we're lucky to have him in our world.

But sonically, the Vienna solo strings are second to none.

In a perfect world, you'd have Vienna's samples with Garritan's expression abilities. But since that doesn't exist (yet), I have to go with what sounds the most real, and most pleasant, even at the expense of expressive control.

Vienna gets that nod here.

I just bought the solo violin a few weeks ago so I dont consider it moot. I think it is the best thing out there but if I had known it was getting ready to be discontinued I probably would have waited. It is hard to get control of but once you do its great

Hello all.
    I just want to add something that many of us (musicians, composers) some times forget about instruments: An instrument can play as good as the player can get it to play.
    In real life, even in a crappy instrument, good musicians can accomplice magnificent results. A crappy player in an excellent instrument, well, you know the answer…
    Every time I listen to a demo song of a sample based library (like vsl or ewql) I can’t help being annoyed by the “fake” portamentos and the puzzle-like attachment of samples in a row. True, when a BIG orchestra is well programmed (probably using a 4 computer rig), the sound can get “catchy”, but when it comes to solo instruments, they are exposed and no mater how good the quality of the sound is, my ear can not help but hearing the procedure of: “pasting” a 2 sec. crescendo sample that is followed by a "straight note" sample and after that, “paste” a 3sec. diminuendo sample… and so on.
    The whole procedure is totally unmusical.
    On the other hand, instruments like Mr. Garritans Sradivari Violin and Gofriller Cello (which I own), the Wallander Brass and Woodwinds, Synful (I’ve tried the demos of these, they are great, especially the WIVI Brass) and The Trumpet by Samplemodeling (I have listened the demo songs only, but, since Mr. Tommasini and Mr. Siedlaczek are in it, it’s good), are the FUTURE of computer synthesis. They can get r e a l l y g o o d if you spend some time “playing” with them. The more time the better results. I admit it. Since I tried those VIs, I can not longer go back to any traditional sample based library. They seem too primitive, time + resource demanding, and, frankly, a waste of time, since you can get beautiful results, with true musical expression made by you, with those instruments.
    As for the nice sound that Jaimo mentions, I prefer 100% listen to music from a gramophone with lousy sound but rich in terms of expressiveness, than hearing a 24 bit 96.000 Hz lifeless midi sound.
    Sorry for the long post.

Gary, I can't wait for GOS2! I got GOS right out of the gate and I am STILL using them for at least 90% of my string sampling needs thanks to the added programming/patches that you released over the years to suppliment the colleciton (the grand sustains and KI patches).

I was worried that you were concentrating only on lower-cost orchestra stuff (GPO) or the individual instruments, so this is great news!

Go Back to forum