• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Steinway on Muse Receptor

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Steinway on Muse Receptor

Hi folks,

The perspective of being able to play Garritan Steinway is actually a big argument for me to buy Muse's receptor.

Of course, things are ready when they are ready. And nothing is certain.

But, perhaps there is an answer to this question: if I buy Muse's receptor now, is there a risk that it will not meet GarritanSteinway's requirements once it is released for the receptor?

mat123

Re: Garritan Steinway on Muse Receptor

Thanks propianist for your thoughts. You are reminding me to be patient. Hmmm, not too easy ;-)

What about standard receptor? It, too can handle Ivory, and Akoustic Piano. Especially the latter makes me want to buy a receptor, too. Believe it or not, it is the Steingraeber I am looking for - for Tom Waits type of music.

I can live with Akoustic Piano for the next two years, and then buy GarritanSteinway - if available.

Your 5 cents - will it run on standard receptor?

Just an update on the Receptor front. We heard back from Muse Research and there are issues getting the Authorized Steinway to work on the version of WINE. Muse and David are on it and not sure how long it will take to resolve.

We'll keep you posted.

Gary Garritan

I own a Receptor/Komplete, and a standard Receptor most certainly can not handle Akoustik piano. Unless I select a latency of 128 samples or higher (unplayable in my opinion) I get endless clicks and dropouts. I have heard the Receptor does very well with Ivory.

If the ability to play the Garritan Steinway is important to you do not buy a Receptor until you can confirm that the plug is installable and works smoothly. A Receptor running plugs that are compatible is a dream machine, but if you exceed its capabilities or count on Muse's estimates for when any plug or upgrade will be ready you will not be happy.

Propianist, This sounds like you have thought this through. Please post again as this develops. I hate to even think about adding anything more to the scrap pile of hardware modules from my past. What you propose could certainly handle unforeseen changes in direction from the industry that we know nothing about today. Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Just an update on the Receptor front. We heard back from Muse Research and there are issues getting the Authorized Steinway to work on the version of WINE. Muse and David are on it and not sure how long it will take to resolve.

We'll keep you posted.

Gary Garritan
    a sign of life, perhaps?

Cool Re: Garritan Steinway on Muse Receptor

http://www.bsicomputer.com/new/lcd_w...7855_intro.htm

An excellent idea Brotha' Man ProPiano. I also went direct to China for the above displayed model. BSI wanted 1300 USD for the chassis and a weak PSU. I got this w/o a PSU and shipped for 765 USD. I take it you corresponded w/ Amy? Nice Mandarin name 'eh?

If one were to just play piano only a Muse Recptor might work. On the other hand those of us who perform live and need to cover many styles and instruments, the custom built DAW is where it's at.

I have condensed 32U of SKB encased DAW's to a 16U design that is extremely powerful w/ my humble E8500 / P35 combo.

The chassis above uses my ancient WD360G for O.S. + Apps, and a SansDisk 1U eSATA enclosure w/ 3 x 150GB Raptors, where the drives share similar libraries for more effieceint streaming for use w/ Gigastudio 4.

I always thought Muse was a great idea, but guys I share a stage with are using 2 & 3 x Receptors as they were duped into believeing it was a great live tool. Well as long as you don't have to load anything it is. To cover many instruments live is different than recording a couple of tracks at home.

I also use the Scope DSP Platform and will be incorporating their new 1U PCI-e XITE-1.......http://www.soniccore.net/en/home/xite.html....... which is 10 times the power of my current 3 x 15DSP Pro card rig. It routes in my AES / EBU hardware effects ro my sampled content, and allows my rack mounted analog synth to be routed into it's projects for further treatments. This also doubles as my recording rig, and yes, one has to move his gear when live performances are the bulk of your income. But quality sound is paramount also, hence the investment.

ProPiano's idea is one I concur with 100%. Since the apps I chose to use need no staring at the LCD during a gig, I could have gone w/ a smaller LCD, but I find those painful during the programming, plus I hate small LED's, LCD's, etc.

I have been using 4U ATX racks since 2000 w/ gigasampler and 3 x Scope Pro DSP cards. The DSP Platform is quite mature in terms of software developement, and now updated hardware as well.

I am anxiously awaiting to buy Garritans Steinway also, but my inexpensive libraries are still working quite well, at least for the styles I usually perform. Once I have seen it's compatability w/ GS4 is sound, it will be a welcome addition.

The Needs Of The Many, Outweigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..............Spock,.... The Wrath Of Khan.
    JimmyV

If you are enthusiastic about your live performances quality, while keeping a small rack for portability, you should look into the XITE-1 1U PCI-e rack. It's qualiy @ 96K is stunning, and treatments that would choke an Intel Dual Quad DAW can be performed in real time w/ power to spare.

It's a perfect mate w/ Gigastudio 4 or ASIO 2 based applications. They recently released the fix for Cubase 4.1 that allows recording and playback @ 96K. I have never had enough DSP resources for playback @ 96K unless the tracks were rendered to audio first. I will be able to have record/ playback in 5.1 @ 96K, and even live w/ 5.1 Big Blue Powered Cabs.

You only have one shot at an audition or first impressions.
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by mat123 View Post
    a sign of life, perhaps?
    any news from the receptor front? just very curious...

Dear Garritan developers,

in April we learned about some wine issues. Were they severe? Is MUSE receptor still on your todo list?

Thanks,
    mat123

Go Back to forum